Splitter Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the wedge design I really like, I've actually put some time on the exact same machine and the wedge setup is pretty awesome, of course it would need some slight mods to make it bulletproof ;)

0:40 is the wedge

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OtkHHd6QiDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The 4 way is neat but I don't like a splitter that dumps the splits on the ground on both sides... lots of walking and bending if you split by yourself.

John

The 4 way is neat but I don't like a splitter that dumps the splits on the ground on both sides... lots of walking and bending if you split by yourself.

John

With out a doubt, that and the wood coming off the hitch end of the splitter. I like to leave mine hooked to the wheeler or truck and move it to the wood if need be, the same way the OP's is set up. Only splits that hit the ground here are ready to be picked up, if I have help they go off the table to the truck. :msp_smile:

That is some very nice fabrication work. At 4000 lbs that axle and wheel you have is just the ticket. The first thing I saw in the original pictures was the 8 lug wheel. I wondered why something like that? Now I see why. Very nice job. I do like the way you did your weight distribution. I bet it does tow nice. Brakes too. Man.

VERY GOOD JOB!!!!:clap: One of the few problems I can see is a problem with my own. How the hell do you get that wide thing around in the woods?!! One of the reasons to have that log lift is to be able the back down the trunk and roll the rounds onto the lift. I find sometimes that is a hard feat to accomplish. I built a raised hitch for my john deere so I can leave it hooked up and move it as I need, but this weekend, I had an ash that was down hill in the brush, behind my pond. Had a hell of a time getting out of there:mad:

I think you have to remember that everyone has their own way or system of working wood. Some stage their splitting phase or do it all at home so the woods factor is not an issue. I, like you, do most of my splitting where the tree falls. My splitter is just about as the truck so if the truck or tractor can get there, so can the splitter.

Personally, I never liked the lift design as it is in the way, shin wise, for me. I'd rather have the option of it not being there. When I did mine I went with a 360 swivel boom with winch. Put swing away tables which I REALLY like too. A little slower lift wise but no rolling around rounds. If you've ever tried rolling 24 inch long 3 foot plus diameter beech rounds, it'll wear you out IF you can do it at all. We throw splits off to the side working our way down the tree, drag the big rounds from the side if need be. Once done or while your backing down the log length you or somebody else can load from both sides of the truck with basically no extra steps.

It's a system that just works best for us with minimal dirt for dulling chains on the wood. We don't have a lot of real hilly ground so that is not a factor in our system. Just like the wedge on the beam debate. I like the wedge on the ram so I don't have to chase the "to be split" agains. That and the fact if I would have them self discharging out the end I'd have to move them all as I'm backing down the log length. As I said before, just all depends on what works the best for you.

I do like the adjustable wedge design. If I'd want a fixed wedge I'd go that route. Looks like on the Northern splitter the stand is going to get bent up if you pull it through the woods. Sitting pretty low along with the wedge bottom in the video.

I totally agree with you Kevin, what matters is what works best for the operator, and that is not the same for all. I thought about the boom/winch design at first. I thought it would be nice to be able to drag the rounds over to me, but in the end, went with the lift and am happy with it. That splitter of your is something to be proud of, what is the reason for the "swing away tables though? I guess I've never seen them in use on a splitter, maybe I am missing out?

With out a doubt, that and the wood coming off the hitch end of the splitter. I like to leave mine hooked to the wheeler or truck and move it to the wood if need be, the same way the OP's is set up. Only splits that hit the ground here are ready to be picked up, if I have help they go off the table to the truck. :msp_smile:

I borrowed the design on your table when I built mine, works GREAT!! The only time it is not big enough [3x3], is with the BIG ash rounds. Like you, I load from the table, to the trailer.

That's a lot of steel in that rig, and the costs add up quick...
Very nice build!!!
What's the tongue weight on it?

When it's in the tow mode I would guess about 350-400lbs tongue weight, It goes down the road good. If it's settin in the shop & you need to move it, Start the motor& move the push plate out to the wedge & you can lift the tongue with maybe 50lbs of weight. Actually it worked out real nice in that respect. Normally when I'm in the split mode I park it backed up to my conveyor & bring the logs to it. That way I can cut & split at my own speed. Just Got a new 7900 Dolmar today & Really like it. I'm ready to bust some wood. I might add, I have a new ps32 Dolmar on it's way also. Guess I'll just park the 009. I'm in the middle of another build now & one more after that. Keeps me out of trouble !

Kevin in Ohio said:

Looks like on the Northern splitter the stand is going to get bent up if you pull it through the woods. Sitting pretty low along with the wedge bottom in the video.

I say

Also looks like the splits could also push the jack from the topside as well. I like my setup it's a hydraulic wench that can be used with tongs and or used to pick up the table,the best of both worlds.
Easy to make only need hydraulic motor and mount a drum to it and pipe it up. Guess it don't make any difference what one doze's seems like there is a better way or a different way to do it and it's how you use your splitter,in the woods,mobile or stationary but seems like all the best of the best come out here. Whitepine2

I totally agree with you Kevin, what matters is what works best for the operator, and that is not the same for all. I thought about the boom/winch design at first. I thought it would be nice to be able to drag the rounds over to me, but in the end, went with the lift and am happy with it. That splitter of your is something to be proud of, what is the reason for the "swing away tables though? I guess I've never seen them in use on a splitter, maybe I am missing out?

The reason for the swing away tables is for versatility. When splitting a 3 ft plus like this:

MVC-019S_54.JPG

I basically do not want to have to bend over to pick anything big up. Even a third of these sized chunks are heavy and with the tables, they will hold it till your ready to get them to size. A chunk like this would be worked up as follows. Split a third off and swing the small chunk out of the way. Boom still holds it, so split the same size chunk off the opposite side. We then swing the hanging center out of the way and work the 1/3's we split off. When they are done, swing the center back in and split it up. When doing smaller stuff I can have the tables out like this:

MVC-018S_55.JPG

I stack the smaller rounds on them while Dad is running the levers as one guy can do it the splitting easily and he can split about as fast as I can bring them to him. If we are splitting in the barn, one guy can split and put the splits on the table while the other guy stacks, saving all the bending over. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes at the end of the day when you aren't bending over 100's of times, fatigue wise. We previously used a 3 point splitter we'd lower to the ground for big ones. Just leaning over holding the valve levers would make my back act up(I'm 6'5") so this is a welcome change. With this splitter design, you can back down the log if it's under 30 inches because that is how much clearance there is. If I can lift it by hand easily, I do this to save moves. If I'm using the winch, I grab it from the back and swing it around.

Like I said before. I built it to suit our needs and boy does it. :msp_thumbsup:

The OP splitter looks very well made and can't wait to see what he does on his own. The only thing I'd offer is watch the frame work down low around the shins. Looks like on this one it sticks out more than it would have to. I always like to keep stuff clean down low and keep lots of "escape routes" open if something were to roll off. No fun getting caught in the wrong place, especially when there's steel on one side, wood on the other and your leg in between. Thumbs up to you!

Last edited:
Now I see a bigger side to being 5'8'. While Kevin's bending over, I'm still standing straight up. But then to get things off the top shelf I use a chair, he doesn't. But even I see a large upside to the swing tables. I never get to wood that size so I stand a lot closer to the beam. A swinging table would allow that for the smaller stuff, then use the table for the larger rounds so even I wouldn't have to bend over to pick the half's up. I like um.

Well Preston, at 6'1", I don't like bending over either. I built mine on a truck axle w/265 tires on it. The only bending over I do is to roll a round on. My controls are even mounted remote on a braket so no reaching or bending.

Back