Splitter running rough..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
DHT Splitter purchased this fall and maintained. Split under 10 cords. Has Kohler engine running fresh premium gas. Have tried gas from 2 different gas stations. Runs rough, then smooth, then rough again. Splits ok, and stays running, but sounds like ****. What should I do? Thanks.

I always keep it tarped or inside, but maybe some condensation got into the gas? Starts in two pulls and has never stalled.

I have actually been quite happy with this splitter for a cheapo splitter. Hard to not expect a few kinks for under $1000 out the door.

When my splitter was acting up, I dumped a 1/4 bottle of seafoam in the tank and got it running to get the mix thru the carb. Shut it down and let it sit for a day. Started it up the next day and it ran great. Since then, when I am done for the season I run it out of gas. Will be getting it out to split again soon so I will know if it helps PDQ.

Seafoam is really good if there's light varnish in the carb and/or marginally bad gas.

Try that first, then drain gas and replace with fresh. If that doesht work drop the bowl on the carb and clean the crap out of there that's causing the problem.

Seafoam is really good if there's light varnish in the carb and/or marginally bad gas.

Try that first, then drain gas and replace with fresh. If that doesht work drop the bowl on the carb and clean the crap out of there that's causing the problem.

I had one of those cheap china kohlers and when it was running poor l dropped the fuel bowl pulling the main jet I found it fouled with a small metal chip... Cleaned it out and was fine.
Another thing to consider is buying non ethynol gasoline. It's about a $1 more per gallon, but will truly save you in the long run with regards to fuel system problems in the future. This fuel should also be run in your saws. It is 91 octane. You can find a location selling the fuel below.
http://pure-gasdotorg

Yeah I'm sure it is probably a fuel issue.

I ran the engine dry and maybe I will try again with some fresh "gas" and seafoam.

Everywhere I have ever lived I had a good source for ethanol-free gas. (Not some hole-in-the-wall where you have problems with the premium gas other than ethanol). But now we have settled somewhere with NO ethanol-free gas. It is not available. Let the saw wreckage begin. (I do make a rich mix and not let it sit in the saws)

Back