Splitting Ax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought a fiskars splitting ax when the handle on my trust old maul broke. I am really struggling with the ax I am sure I am doing somthing wrong just can't figure out what. The head just sinks in to some maple I have and get stuck. Any tip would be appreciated. I am going to buy a new handle for my maul but wanted to give the ax a try

That's a common problem with splitting with axes (and to some degree 6 lb mauls as well). To overcome it, you can work around the edges splitting off a few inches at a time. The axe won't get stuck that way-or at least not as bad. Eventually you work your way to the middle.

The only other advice I have to overcome the problem is to tell you to fix your maul.

I use a splitting axe and it works great for me. I have a few tips...I try to swing it as fast as I can. With my old monster maul, I can almost let it fall on it's own but with the splitting axe works best when you really get it going. I also will sometimes start near one edge and usually knock of a small split first. Then the rest of the log usually splits fairly easily. I also try to stay away from the center of the log and hit between the center and the edge of the wood.

I cut mainly locust, hedge, oak, and ash. I use the axe on rounds 12 in or smaller. Larger than that the maul or wedge comes out.

All in all, I like the axe a lot. It splits most logs on the first swing and is not as hard on me as the maul. I also find that it is easier on the hands when the log does not split.

you're just missing the skills, with axe you need to be fast to get some serious splitting power, and by fast i mean i you should be "whipping" the axe to wood and not just let it fall like cows tail... Another trick is to hit the edge of the wood, never the heart wood....

oh, frozen wood is always easier to split too...

I have one of those axes to with all hand splitting devices some work good with one kind of wood and some with others. I perfer a 6lb maul most of the time but I also have two of those with different head angles. Also once and while use my 8lb maul for other wood. I have found that you need a few different mauls for different applications. Just my opinion

All good comments, especially the speed, I don't alway hit where I'm aiming so end up with the axe stuck sometimes but most of the time a couple of back drops finishes the chunk (although it can be tough on the splitting block). The issue as I see it is that the axe is very thin for a good portion of its depth, once you get it deep enough to get to the more agressive wedge... wood go bang.

If you don't want to back drop then wedge it out and try again.

I agree with much that has been said here. Using a reguilar axe as opposed to a maul, you have to really get that axe head moving if you want to get a crack started. Also agree with staying away from the heartwood since if the log is not perfectly solid all the way through, the head will just sink into oblivion with a little bit of water all around the head.

I split a great variety of sizes and types of wood and keep a splitting axe, a Chopper1 axe (nice for 12-14" ish junks) a 6lb maul, an 8 lb maul and a good splitting wedge all on hand. You never know what you will need, especially with the bigger stuff.

Latest posts

Back