Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next spring I'll be hitting the big flea markets maybe I can get lucky and find something thats marked. Most of the axes I find around here at the antique malls are unmarked and high priced. Looking for a norlund cabin axe. I would think your neck of the woods they can be found.

Next spring I'll be hitting the big flea markets maybe I can get lucky and find something thats marked. Most of the axes I find around here at the antique malls are unmarked and high priced. Looking for a norlund cabin axe. I would think your neck of the woods they can be found.

I have been looking for a Norlund anything for a while now to no avail. You'd think they'd be relatively common around here since some were manufactured by Mann up in Lewistown. Seems that they've been sought after for a number of years now, something akin to Gresham's law of currency. If I see one, I'll keep you in mind.

I was in an old guys basement installing a furnace a few years ago and he had probably a hundred axes some double sided. I picked one up went to run my finger down the edge of it and damn it was razor sharp. Idk what he was doing with all of them he could barely walk.

A man after my own heart! I like a keen, shaving sharp axe.

These 3.5 lb offerings from Husky look good and the price is right.

View attachment 617672

Well they look good except for the end grain...:confused:
The one on the left is ok.
View attachment 617673

Yeah, the one on the left is passable, how's the end grain on the palmswell of the handle? You going to pick one up? Seem to have a nice fit and finish.

Not certain, but I think Apex Tool Group makes them, the same group who make Collins and Plumb now.

I was in an old guys basement installing a furnace a few years ago and he had probably a hundred axes some double sided. I picked one up went to run my finger down the edge of it and damn it was razor sharp. Idk what he was doing with all of them he could barely walk.
And you didn't go back with apple pie in hand and offering to take out his garbage weekly?

These 3.5 lb offerings from Husky look good and the price is right.

View attachment 617672

Well they look good except for the end grain...:confused:
The one on the left is ok.
View attachment 617673

That's y I went all fiberglass. I dont know much about axes but I do know to look for a good grain. Nothing at the home depot was very good looking and for a few more dollars you could get a fiberglass handle.

It's a crap shoot with handle quality at hardware stores anymore, and it's tough to find anything with quality carbon alloy, properly tempered steel. That's why I dig the vintage stuff, it's tough to find that kind of quality any more. As to handles, on a few occasions I've found good to acceptable handle grain. What I usually do is buy them from either House Handle Co. or Beaver-Tooth Handle Co. A long term goal is to make them myself.

I had a short handle small craftsman axe my dad broke the handle on me and gave me a harbor fright axe in return well they both have steel handles on them now but I kept the craftsman short and it rides on the atv for a clearing axe. I have no issue with steel handle axes like some people do.

Jeezo flip, do folks on here really bust others chops over handle material? I mean, I like wood on my axes but that's just my preference. Metal handle? OK, I love my Estwing Hunter's Hatchet. Use it all the time, it's on my lawn tractor. What's the big deal? I think the most important part is actually using the dang tool.

Jeezo flip, do folks on here really bust others chops over handle material? I mean, I like wood on my axes but that's just my preference. Metal handle? OK, I love my Estwing Hunter's Hatchet. Use it all the time, it's on my lawn tractor. What's the big deal? I think the most important part is actually using the dang tool.
I do not know why, but handle material was a serious bone of contention on here for a while. The anti-synthetic crowd's leader Ctyank does not post much anymore but man there were some classics on here. I will see if I can dig one up.

They were almost as good as whitespider vs slowp debates :happy:

So when I went to HD tonight I picked up the axe on the left. The handle finish is pretty rough and about half of the handle is printed with warning labels. Once it warms up a bit so I can sit on the patio I will sand it down and do a coat of BLO. FYI the grain was true through the bottom of the handle so that sealed the deal.

@Multifaceted This is typical and acutally calmer than many of the debates.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars.220295/page-2#post-4066657

Not fiskars related but here is another doozy from the yank

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/like-limit-needed.276227/

This one was kinda Fiskars related and took on a personality of it's own with at least a couple different Brush Ape aliases participating.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-x27-what-a-piece-of-plastic.269270/

I do not know why, but handle material was a serious bone of contention on here for a while. The anti-synthetic crowd's leader Ctyank does not post much anymore but man there were some classics on here. I will see if I can dig one up.

They were almost as good as whitespider vs slowp debates :happy:

Wow... it's one thing to have a preference and share an opinion with experience; another thing to make it dogmatic. When it comes to accumulating axes, or gear, or equipment, I'm guilty as charged. My wife calls me a "geardo" (think gear+weirdo.... which is funny because she wears more stuff on her belt during work than I do) - but it's just tools, we're not saving lives here.

So when I went to HD tonight I picked up the axe on the left. The handle finish is pretty rough and about half of the handle is printed with warning labels. Once it warms up a bit so I can sit on the patio I will sand it down and do a coat of BLO. FYI the grain was true through the bottom of the handle so that sealed the deal.

Sounds like you got a nice beater or truck ax, perhaps even a daily driver. Judging from the picks, it seems the hanging was done well enough, the seating of the head appeared to be tight.

@Multifaceted This is typical and acutally calmer than many of the debates.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars.220295/page-2#post-4066657

Not fiskars related but here is another doozy from the yank

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/like-limit-needed.276227/

This one was kinda Fiskars related and took on a personality of it's own with at least a couple different Brush Ape aliases participating.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-x27-what-a-piece-of-plastic.269270/

Jeez... skimming over a few pages of those threads is laughable. Funny, out of all of my preference for wood handles on tools... take a look into my gun safe and you'll nary but one rifle with a wooden stock... Cognitive dissonance?

Your Kydex wrap set me thinking and I've an idea. Abs plastic is impact resistant. I don't know about your side of the pond but over here solvent joint plumbing waste pipe is abs. If heated up it becomes soft and formable. You'd have to be lucky but if a handle were just the right size then a section of pipe, heated in the oven, would slide up the handle and form to fit. If the pipe were to large, slit up the back and join it with the solvent adhesive, or a lace.

Back