Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the initial ordering was clear headed, albeit curious. A few days later when I got the email for the deposit I was about three fingers into a neat glass of Woodford Reserve...
We place a big order of salsa and hot sauce from mexgrocer.com about once a year. We have a few favorites that we have bought in various places that are not available at any of the stores back home so we order in volume to make the shipping feasible. They often do 25 or 30 percent off sales and then it is cheaper than a supermarket.

A few years back I was a few cups in and ordered a case of the wrong salsa. It was decent stuff but not like the other version we were supposed to get. I think I ended up eating most of that myself LOL.

Well, I looked at taping some heater hose to the neck of my Fiskars for 'insurance'. But that's where my right grip rests at the start of each stroke.

Maybe if I used more of a sledge type maul.

Philbert

exactly, the thickness gets in the way. I also find a thick rubber not that durable, or at least the both the rubber bumper on a cheap maul I started out with and my cheap sledge hammer died fairly fast.

Just came in today from over the pond under 30.00 shipped to the mailbox. The forging looks better on this Husqvarna vs the Gransfors or the Wetterlings. The edge is not as sharp but not all that bad. My puck will finish the edge. The sheath is not as good as the others but for over 100.00 less money its expected. On the axe its self all I can do is say WOW! on the craftsmanship. The axe head is perfectly strait all around.DSCN4652.JPG DSCN4653.JPG DSCN4654.JPG

Just came in today from over the pond under 30.00 shipped to the mailbox. The forging looks better on this Husqvarna vs the Gransfors or the Wetterlings. The edge is not as sharp but not all that bad. My puck will finish the edge. The sheath is not as good as the others but for over 100.00 less money its expected. On the axe its self all I can do is say WOW! on the craftsmanship. The axe head is perfectly strait all around.View attachment 618138 View attachment 618139 View attachment 618140
I just got the same one from the husky dealer ,they just got 10 in so i was able to pick through them for handle grains ,i got a strait up and down one , i sanded it and burnt then blo ,the more coats i add the better it looks .They are well made like you said .husky axe3.JPG

I really like them ,all small ones though ,be nice to have a 4 -5 lb option also like the arvika .

I have a penchant for small, light axes as well. They're more likely to get used around my property. I've had my eye on an Arvika for a while now, they are supposed to be available in the states soon! I'm pretty sure the Arvika is forged under the Hults Bruk branch, I'm not entirely sure HB forges all of the steel for the parent Hultafors group.

Time to start looking at American made myself. I like the council and the Snow & Nealley. Who else makes axe in the US these days?

Council Tool is the only other I know of, and they're quality but not hand crafted heirlooms to pass down to your grandkids. Hoffman Blacksmithing is actually being transferred into a new facility he had built, for years be has done production smithing out of a veritable shack, it's like 800 sq ft or something.

Snow & Nealy got bought out overseas some years back, but were then purchased by an Amish family who are trying to bring work back to the USA. I saw a lot in WV stores, and while they looked better than what you'd find in a big chain LowesDepot, they also commanded quite a few more dollars. Some reviews I've read about use have been lackluster. For the same price I can get a Hults Bruk pound for pound with tried and true quality.

That's the Husqvarna Hatchet that Steven Edholme (SkillCult) really, REALLY dislikes. He goes into all sorts of detail about hs thoghts. let us know how you get on with it as you use it.

I thought it was the Husqvarna Forest Axe that he bought, modified, and still doesn't like?

And what model did you order?

I got the 2.25 lb Camp Axe on a 24" stick

Yuppie type fellow" !
Many years ago, when my wife and I were dating, or had just got married, a nice young lady called on Christmas eve and asked if I could bring her a cord of "good" firewood. I wasn't happy, but said yes, if I could just back up and dump it. She said no problem. I had a Ford F600 with a 12' bed and 6' sides. I get there and she says just dump it in the garage, my sides were at least 4' higher than her doors, so I get as close as I can and start throwing wood in. Then she comes out and says I brought too much wood, she wouldn't be able to get her car in the garage. I told her I was only about half way. Turned out the guy she had been getting wood from was selling her a face cord for the price of a full cord. So, I finally get all the wood thrown into the garage and she's about to hand me a wad of cash, and her "yuppie type fellow" neighbor comes over and tells her to send the wood back! He had just read in the Washington Post that seasoned firewood should be gray. Well, the pile of wood I took her load from was my Dad's personal stash. It had been stacked inside of our barn for two years and was dry as a bone. But, because it had never been in sunlight, had never grayed out. I grabbed up a hand full and went in to show her how I started a fire. I put the wood on the grates and tore one section of the Washington Post into long strips. I told her that the long strips get more air in them and burn faster and hotter than wadded up balls of paper. One section of the WP and she had a blazing fire. I walked out to leave with my wad of cash, and the "yuppie" neighbor is still flapping his trap at my wife. I stepped between them and told him to get his "F$$$king Whistle Dix Azz" back where he came from. My wife had never seen me get mad, or heard me cuss before, so she ran and jumped in the truck. As we were leaving she whispered, half scared to death, what's a "Whistle Dix"? I said "that's someone, when I hit them in the mouth, it's gonna force so much hot air down their throat, that it comes out the little hole in their dix and makes a whistling noise! She still tells the "Whistle Dix" story, 30 plus years later, Joe.

Back