Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Kydex wrap set me thinking and I've an idea. Abs plastic is impact resistant. I don't know about your side of the pond but over here solvent joint plumbing waste pipe is abs. If heated up it becomes soft and formable. You'd have to be lucky but if a handle were just the right size then a section of pipe, heated in the oven, would slide up the handle and form to fit. If the pipe were to large, slit up the back and join it with the solvent adhesive, or a lace.

Interesting indeed. I've not heard of Abs plastic, but I'll look out for it. I just happened to have the Kydex and Paracord, 30 minutes, and an idea.

one rifle with a wooden stock..

I tend to prefer the synthetics on my firearms as well......youre not alone in that camp, bud.
Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

For me it's just more happenstance, the patterns I like are more modern than traditional or sporting, and often only come with polymers, wood being an aftermarket customization. Been looking at an M1-A and would like wood on that bad boy over polymer.

Wow... it's one thing to have a preference and share an opinion with experience; another thing to make it dogmatic. When it comes to accumulating axes, or gear, or equipment, I'm guilty as charged. My wife calls me a "geardo" (think gear+weirdo.... which is funny because she wears more stuff on her belt during work than I do) - but it's just tools, we're not saving lives here.

Sounds like you got a nice beater or truck ax, perhaps even a daily driver. Judging from the picks, it seems the hanging was done well enough, the seating of the head appeared to be tight.

Jeez... skimming over a few pages of those threads is laughable. Funny, out of all of my preference for wood handles on tools... take a look into my gun safe and you'll nary but one rifle with a wooden stock... Cognitive dissonance?
LMAO yeah every Fiskars post got comments like that and not just from him...it was funny once the Fiskars fans (fanboys? lol) grew in numbers and would get on his case.

We haven't even gotten to the Leveraxe yet. Another tool that Yank had denounced without using. SO get this......a bunch of guys were up at the NY gtg. There is CTyank talking smack about the Leveraxe while others are using it and he just stands there running his mouth...it just so happened that when @MechanicMatt was using it, an errant split came off the log, flew through the air and hit old yank right in the shin and just about knocked him off his feet. A bit of Karma there lol.

Sounds like you got a nice beater or truck ax, perhaps even a daily driver. Judging from the picks, it seems the hanging was done well enough, the seating of the head appeared to be tight.
It is going to be my everything axe when I am out of town for the winter. I only have a Hudson bay and two "house" axes down here which basically are glorified hatchets.

Jeez... skimming over a few pages of those threads is laughable. Funny, out of all of my preference for wood handles on tools... take a look into my gun safe and you'll nary but one rifle with a wooden stock... Cognitive dissonance?
I used to have triple digit count of guns and had many synthetic guns of all types. That was another hobby that gave way to kids lol.

Most of my guns now are inherited from my dad and great grandpa as well as a few guns my FIL gave the kids so all of those are wood. So we have two black shotguns, two black pistols, and my dad's BAR was restocked to a real nice laminated wood stock last year because the original was cracking.

It's the black plastic drain pipe at the home centers. The white stuff is PVC.

I still think that a resilient collar (rubber) is better.

Philbert

Ah, I've always referred to that as "black PVC" — you're not talking to a plumber here, but I do know that you-know-what runs downhill. Rubber would be more resilient, but I don't have any wide enough for this ax, and I'm sorry, but those bulky handle savers just look goofy to me.

Nearly Philbert. Over here at least the abs pipe can be got in black, grey or white. The abs is the solvent weld stuff and has a slightly shiny finish, the matt stuff which is push or compression fitting only is PVC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

As Wikipedia says, it has rubber like toughness, good down to -20C and to quote,
'The most important mechanical properties of ABS are impact resistance and toughness'

It's glass transition temperature is 105C, so easy to warm and form. Cheap and easy to buy too.

Nearly Philbert. Over here at least the abs pipe can be got in black, grey or white.
We must have different plastic plumbing.

Here, I have only seen ABS in black Drain/Waste/Sewer (DWS) pipe. The larger diameters are 'foamed' to reduce weight.

White PVC (also solvent welded) is the primary pipe used for D/W/S and venting.

CPVC is solvent welded and can be use for supply lines.

PEX (different kinds) uses compression fittings, and can be used for in-floor heating and supply lines.

There is also some other poly tubing that is used for agricultural / farm use.

Philbert

I was out picking second hand shops today and here is My $12.00 find of the day. A old Craftsman 3.2 pound head on a 25 inch handle. Still has some of its gun blue. I guess it would be classified as a camp,cabin, or boys axe. I like it!DSCN4611.JPG DSCN4612.JPG

I had a used Gransfors American felling axe on my ebay watch list It sold for $518.00. If I find one of these in a second hand store I'll most likely drop to my knees.

Whew. . . with that kind of coin you might as well put your name on the list for one of those John Neeman/Northmen axes. Up until GB stopped making them they retailed for about 200 USD.

I was out picking second hand shops today and here is My $12.00 find of the day. A old Craftsman 3.2 pound head on a 25 inch handle. Still has some of its gun blue. I guess it would be classified as a camp,cabin, or boys axe. I like it!View attachment 617983 View attachment 617986

Looks like a Cedar Ax, at 3.2 lb it's too heavy for a boy's ax, seems as if someone re-handled it with s shorter and straight haft.

What I was told the Gransfors American felling axe should be back in stock the first 1/4 of 2018. I guess a guy could roll the dice stock up on a few wait intill stock runs out and list them on ebay. Just might end up with a free axe or two.

What I was told the Gransfors American felling axe should be back in stock the first 1/4 of 2018. I guess a guy could roll the dice stock up on a few wait intill stock runs out and list them on ebay. Just might end up with a free axe or two.

Huh... perhaps I am mistaken then. Come to think of it, I can't remember where I read that the American was only a limited production. That'd be a sweet addition to a collection and a great working axe.

I'm currently about 8 months wait into my Liam Hoffman axe, when I put in the deposit there was a 12-14 month lead time.

I likely would not, but agree that it'd be a shame not too. Those are pieces for high end collectors with deep pockets. The only reason I went in on a Liam Hoffman axe (not as expensive, but more than Gransförs) is, well, bourbon. That's why.
Bourbon ingested prior to ordering?

Latest posts

Back