Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen a video a fellow was standing his round in the center of a old tire while spliting. It kept the pieces from falling over when striking.

I've seen those, I sometimes use the old chain bungee wrap which kind of does the same thing - keep 'em together. Lately, anything that is less than 20" I'll just split it on the ground with a "golf swing". Less handling. I still like to use a block, but I'm kind of transitioning out of that after my last two big splitting sessions

Lost this thread also ,update on the arvika ,it is my go to now ,the 32 inch handle i have adapted too and like the feel of it now that i have used it more ,real good swing control with it .

Lost this thread also ,update on the arvika ,it is my go to now ,the 32 inch handle i have adapted too and like the feel of it now that i have used it more ,real good swing control with it .

Did you ever put your own grind on it? Aren't those set from the factory to be customized by the end user?

Did you ever put your own grind on it? Aren't those set from the factory to be customized by the end user?
It was fairly sharp new ,it does say sharpen before use on it ,i need a sharpening puck ,all i have to sharpen is a file and a small belt sander for sharpening knives ,it will pop a knot off in a swing or 2 right now so it chops good ,i think it would work good in the firewood challenge for 1 axe to do it all ,chop and split .I have been putting all my rounds on top of another log so have not hit the dirt with the edge yet .I did put a chip in the handle ,not real bad but can see a lighter color where it chipped .

I just came running in from the wood pile. The wind is blowing so hard you can hardly stand up. I'm taking a fine file and a stone down in the basement, I might not come out till March. If I can find my Plumb double that is not hung, I'll start on that. Otherwise I'm gonna take the American Beauty down and see if I can get it shaving sharp, and kill a couple more Gum trees with it, Joe

It was fairly sharp new ,it does say sharpen before use on it ,i need a sharpening puck ,all i have to sharpen is a file and a small belt sander for sharpening knives ,it will pop a knot off in a swing or 2 right now so it chops good ,i think it would work good in the firewood challenge for 1 axe to do it all ,chop and split .I have been putting all my rounds on top of another log so have not hit the dirt with the edge yet .I did put a chip in the handle ,not real bad but can see a lighter color where it chipped .

Just so you know, you don't have to use just one axe, it just has to to an axe or anything that resembles an axe. I plan to use several, and have already used two.

I got ya, I was more talking about grind profile. In timber sports different grinds cut deeper or throw bigger chips depending on how the user chops and swings. Profiles are like hollow, rolled , half banana/full banana, etc.

bPSTRQS.jpg

I just came running in from the wood pile. The wind is blowing so hard you can hardly stand up. I'm taking a fine file and a stone down in the basement, I might not come out till March. If I can find my Plumb double that is not hung, I'll start on that. Otherwise I'm gonna take the American Beauty down and see if I can get it shaving sharp, and kill a couple more Gum trees with it, Joe

You're not kidding, I'm out making kindling from hardwood limbs and had to come in for a wee dram of Scotch and warm up by the stove for a minute to write this. My legs went numb...

Last night I touched up my Basque and Hults Bruk axes from the other day, one had a chip in the toe, the other might have ate some dirt and snow.

Just so you know, you don't have to use just one axe, it just has to to an axe or anything that resembles an axe. I plan to use several, and have already used two.

I got ya, I was more talking about grind profile. In timber sports different grinds cut deeper or throw bigger chips depending on how the user chops and swings. Profiles are like hollow, rolled , half banana/full banana, etc.

bPSTRQS.jpg

You're not kidding, I'm out making kindling from hardwood limbs and had to come in for a wee dram of Scotch and warm up by the stove for a minute to write this. My legs went numb...

Last night I touched up my Basque and Hults Bruk axes from the other day, one had a chip in the toe, the other might have ate some dirt and snow.
The chisel one looks like how i sharpen . I split mostly with it so do not want too thin a face ,my husky carpenter axe has a thin face on it .There is some kind of clear coat on the arvika head ,it is coming off from use ,must be for storage to prevent rust maybe .

The chisel one looks like how i sharpen . I split mostly with it so do not want too thin a face ,my husky carpenter axe has a thin face on it .There is some kind of clear coat on the arvika head ,it is coming off from use ,must be for storage to prevent rust maybe .

So,

You gonna keep it.

Acetone will take that off in a jiffy, then you can put a thin coat of BLO over it or oil it regularly. My Council Tool FSS Pulaski came with the a similar laquer on the bit, it was the first thing to come off.

He does a lot of axe hanging videos ,my first 2 came out fairly good using his advise .Posted in the other axe thread .

Oh yeah, good ol' Buckin'. I find him entertaining to just watch, dude is all over the place! He drops a good bit of useful knowledge here and there but doesn't come off like a know it all, a pretty humble guy. You know he charges $150-250 USD for his Buckin' Specials? I like to think I do some pretty darn good work on my restorations but I don't charge nearly as much, wholly cow!

Can't knock him though, if he's making a buck doing that with his subscriber base then more power to him, at least he didn't (or hasn't) ended up the paid shill Wranglerstar turned into...

Oh yeah, good ol' Buckin'. I find him entertaining to just watch, dude is all over the place! He drops a good bit of useful knowledge here and there but doesn't come off like a know it all, a pretty humble guy. You know he charges $150-250 USD for his Buckin' Specials? I like to think I do some pretty darn good work on my restorations but I don't charge nearly as much, wholly cow!

Can't knock him though, if he's making a buck doing that with his subscriber base then more power to him, at least he didn't (or hasn't) ended up the paid shill Wranglerstar turned into...
He told me he lives just north of here ,maybe an hour drive once off the ferry from us to canada .

I like that Billy is a real guy with lots of real life experience who also does videos and sells axes on the side.

Wranglerstar knew almost nothing in his early videos and now knows just enough to be dangerous.

I like that Billy is a real guy with lots of real life experience who also does videos and sells axes on the side.

Wranglerstar knew almost nothing in his early videos and now knows just enough to be dangerous.

I used to be a fan of Wranglerstar, I still kind of have a soft spot for his videos in the earlier days, it reminds me of when I got the axe bug as a budding enthusiast. Cody has become very successful selling himself as a homesteader and woodsman. It worked, so hey... A novice such as myself can watch some of his content, even today--at his earlier stuff and think, "yeah, that's not right..." ... or should I say proper, as he would put it. Same goes for Dave Canterbury, the guy is a costume. Sure, he might go camping, hunting, the occasional backwoods outfit here and there, but his content that he sells as true knowledge is just halfa$$ed. People still watch his videos, and buy his books, so I guess he must be doing something right...

Latest posts

Back