Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be a fan of Wranglerstar, I still kind of have a soft spot for his videos in the earlier days, it reminds me of when I got the axe bug as a budding enthusiast. Cody has become very successful selling himself as a homesteader and woodsman. It worked, so hey... A novice such as myself can watch some of his content, even today--at his earlier stuff and think, "yeah, that's not right..." ... or should I say proper, as he would put it. Same goes for Dave Canterbury, the guy is a costume. Sure, he might go camping, hunting, the occasional backwoods outfit here and there, but his content that he sells as true knowledge is just halfa$$ed. People still watch his videos, and buy his books, so I guess he must be doing something right...
Yeah I agree. Can't begrudge him for being successful but it just goes to show that just about anyone can be an internet sensation lol.

Yeah I agree. Can't begrudge him for being successful but it just goes to show that just about anyone can be an internet sensation lol.

Such is the double edged sword of the internet academy.... useful in that there is limitless knowledge accessible almost immediately; harmful in that bad information can be passed off as quality, thus aiding and abetting bad decisions from the ignorant viewer/reader.

Such is the double edged sword of the internet academy.... useful in that there is limitless knowledge accessible almost immediately; harmful in that bad information can be passed off as quality, thus aiding and abetting bad decisions from the ignorant viewer/reader.
Spot on.

The ironic thing is that Billy Ray has 10,000 followers and Wranglerstar has nearly a million. Between Billy Ray and also his visits to Walker's saw shop you are getting irreplaceable info versus some dude puking product.

Found a Dixie retailer in the Old Dominion that stocked these and shipped for free! Always wanted one, came with a free personal water filter and axe/hatchet belt loop; but didn't come with a sheathed of its own... my only gripe, but otherwise it's Bada$$. Hults Bruk — Arvika!

FljmW7C.jpg

Found a Dixie retailer in the Old Dominion that stocked these and shipped for free! Always wanted one, came with a free personal water filter and axe/hatchet belt loop; but didn't come with a sheathed of its own... my only gripe, but otherwise it's Bada$$. Hults Bruk — Arvika!

FljmW7C.jpg
practice racing axe?

practice racing axe?

Sort of, I really just like a good axe and these Tassie patterns are just so cool and effective. A real racing ace has a polygonal cheek profile, but this can suffice, for practice... I suppose you're right!

First things first, cleaned all of the laquer off of the steel, next need to thin out the haft, way too thick for my hands and has little bend to it, then it will need to be oiled. Finally I'll decide on a grind profile before I sharpen it. Pretty excited, though!

What's everyone using to sharpening their axe and/or machete? I sharpen my Gerber folding knife with a small stone. I did my other axes with the die grinder but what about the fiskars? I don't need shaving sharp but for my machete that would be nice. I've used my small stone on the machete.

What's everyone using to sharpening their axe and/or machete? I sharpen my Gerber folding knife with a small stone. I did my other axes with the die grinder but what about the fiskars? I don't need shaving sharp but for my machete that would be nice. I've used my small stone on the machete.

For axes I use 120/280 and 400/1000 grit stones, then strop with polishing wheel and compound. Die grinder on the hardened bit can get too hot very quickly and draw the temper if not careful. For machetes I just use a bastard mill file only. They are so thin and take such a beating, there's no need to keep them shaving sharp. Plus the steel on machetes are usually a little softer so they are very easy to sharpen with a file.

Im going to say the fiskars is softer than my machete. I wouldn't use the die grinder on the fiskars but some of my no name axes are pretty hard steel that don't hold an edge. Chinese steel. It's made from 2 old cars and a soup can all melted together lol. I'll have to try a file.

Sort of, I really just like a good axe and these Tassie patterns are just so cool and effective. A real racing ace has a polygonal cheek profile, but this can suffice, for practice... I suppose you're right!

First things first, cleaned all of the laquer off of the steel, next need to thin out the haft, way too thick for my hands and has little bend to it, then it will need to be oiled. Finally I'll decide on a grind profile before I sharpen it. Pretty excited, though!
What brand of handle did it come with ,Mine says Unex ,fits my hands perfect ,smaller than some at the lower curve ,got mine out of Canada though .

What brand of handle did it come with ,Mine says Unex ,fits my hands perfect ,smaller than some at the lower curve ,got mine out of Canada though .

It doesn't say, the handle seems to be of the same quality of other HB, GB, and Wetterlings axes, they're turned by the same company. The grain orientation is top notch, only that the handle is a little thick. It is my understanding that these axes we're designed to be customized tailored by the end user, which is what I intend to do.

Here's the handle:
1EBENgL.jpg

aK1dPjy.jpg

that arvika looks lovely, hope it works well!

I find a rough file is all I need on my x17 and x27, the metal is pretty soft and files up fast. Filing my stihl maul is much harder work, although it gets it done

I'm inclined to think that it will impress, and throw some big chips. As always, the proof is in the pudding, so I plan to get this work-ready by Sunday, weather permitting. Then I can do an actual review of performance.

After buying this and my 2.0 kg Basque axe, I'll need to sell off soon my current restorations to recoup the money...

Pretty sure Wetterlings made their own handles before changing over to GB. OEM replacement handle are getting scarce.

You are correct, I misspoke. Wetterlings did, and I'm now wondering if Gränsfors Bruk has been using their wood turning machinery since they now run production out of the former Wetterlings facility in Storvik. The main handle manufacturer in Sweden is Smedbergs, who if I'm not mistaken, has contracts with Gränsfors Bruk, and Hultafors/Hults Bruk to make the handles for their steel.

You are correct, I misspoke. Wetterlings did, and I'm now wondering if Gränsfors Bruk has been using their wood turning machinery since they now run production out of the former Wetterlings facility in Storvik. The main handle manufacturer in Sweden is Smedbergs, who if I'm not mistaken, has contracts with Gränsfors Bruk, and Hultafors/Hults Bruk to make the handles for their steel.
Your handle looks like the same kind my Husqvarna axes come with ,my Arvika has different brand on it.KIMG2778.JPG KIMG2778.JPG KIMG2779.JPG KIMG2781.JPG KIMG2783.JPG

Back