Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your handle looks like the same kind my Husqvarna axes come with ,my Arvika has different brand on it.

That's interesting, I wonder why that is? Perhaps Hults Bruk export their forged steel to offshore vendors at a discount who then haft the axes themselves, sourcing the handles elsewhere. I did a little Google Foo and not only found a few vendors (also in Canada) with those Unex handles, but they also were at lower price than what I paid.... dammit...

Looking in the axe junkie group on face book one guy purchased a new 5 star for 89.00 Canadian dollars. Yikes!

That's actually a good deal, though it'd be slightly more to ship it down here in the lower 48... still less than what I paid, but whatever, what's done is done.

When see the Canadian price ,it should be a little less in Us dollars when go to pay .The place i got the Arvika from sells the Unex handles for 25 bucks Canadian ,My hand fits real good around the lower grip ,My other brands are a little thicker than i like ,need to be trimmed down .If look at the eye size it is larger than a regular single bit head also ,Must be the racing axe size .

You guys are costing me lol

ddfe4a0dd3c4240c6927db20969079a8.jpg
662ff22032fc7d32b203054725ae6e36.jpg

I buy direct from the Canadian distributor ,GH Factory Sales and their warehouse is on my route to work .
They stock hundreds if not thousands of the Unex branded handles , if I'm not there to hand pick I'll end up with one good one out of 5 .
The fella that handles the heads is pretty good but it's just a job to him , a handle is a handle .
They had the Wetterlings and Hults Bruks , if it's handled with the Swede hickory the hang is pretty good but the Unex haft gets you the luck of the draw .

I bought one of those a couple years ago. It’s not a bad splitter but I don’t care much for the balance. That and I’m always afraid I’ll overstrike and wipe out the handle.

First impressions are that the longer bit with the weight at the back help with kickout , it was easy to unstick from the rounds and could deal with the knots that hold this tamarack together .

Oddly I was eyeing that same splitter today, or looks very nice.... Probably because it resembles the gransfors bruks rather closely.

Then I saw a GB double bit on eBay. ..swoon! I'm watching it just to see what it sells for, it's head only, decent but with a chip from one corner, currently at £46 with 4 or 5 days to run. I'm thinking way north of £100, maybe twice that. Oh I'd love a nice double..... I've clearly been watching too much buckin' Billy.

Anyway, looking forward to reading how that husqvarna maul performs

How does this compare to your other tools for effectiveness?
I've only split a few rounds with it so far and I didn't split with another of mine to compare but I do like it so far .
It's not a replacement for the isocore but none of my others are either .

Always dreamed of moving to Nova Scotia and growing some of those giant tomatoes. They won't take me now being retired and on Social Security. Maybe I should become a youper or look at land way up north east Minnesota. Would like to have my nearest neighbor at least 5 miles away.

Took my Helko Spaltaxt with the Kydex collar guard I made for a spin today. Had planned to do some axe work, as well as chainsaw work. This pile is mostly black cherry with a smattering of ash. Some was split on the stump I flush cut, the rest using the "golf swing" technique. The haft took a few direct hits, and many scratching passes through the wood. So far, it has held up above my expectations. A real test will be when it's sub-zero temperatures. All in all, I'm very happy with it.
dDKA5KR.jpg

rpjspPG.jpg

And here it is all cleaned up from the mud and sap. As you can see, very little damage.
yeHu9VC.jpg

A fellow had a kydex collar with small nuts and bolts holding it on the handle. It had a flange on the spine.

I think he's joking, asking if you talk funny enough to be a yooper. However you talk, just be thankful you don't have the Mid-Atlantic, particularly the Baltimore dialect like I do. Some say it's the worst English dialect, except maybe for Geordies, but I embrace it, hon. We wear it like a badge, only hons will know what I mean when I ask if you're "gown downy oweshun".

Not that I know anything about axes but that axe head design seems cool to me. Does it work well for splitting or is it just as effective as a smooth axe. I know before I bought the fiskars I looked at that head design on a axe at homedepot. That being said I got a fiskars.

Latest posts

Back