Splitting Tool Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I believe you are the only active AS member who owns one at this point. I'm excited to try mine as soon as it arrives.
Probably so. It gets stuck less in the wood and had more first hit splits than the fiskars. Me and my dad played with them both in blocks that were cut side by side so it was close to the same grain of ash and maple. Even split some hickory with it.

cat10ken

cat10ken

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
How about including a Chopper II and a Sotz monster maul. When I was younger and more foolish I used a monster maul until metal fatigue caused the head to break off the handle. I had it rewelded and reinforced with a piece of pipe and used it until it has a permanent bend in the handle. Now that is the kind of maul to hang on the wall!

stihl sawing
How about including a Chopper II and a Sotz monster maul. When I was younger and more foolish I used a monster maul until metal fatigue caused the head to break off the handle. I had it rewelded and reinforced with a piece of pipe and used it until it has a permanent bend in the handle. Now that is the kind of maul to hang on the wall!
That monster maul is what I have always used.

CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
I wondered. If I don't show it, it must not exist, right? ;)

No no... I was being 100% serious. You wont ever find me mixing content from the depths up here in reality.

My grandfather and I used to hand split wood. But it wasn't to heat the house, just for ambiance.

I stand in awe of guys that hand split 10+ cords of wood so I was wondering what type of set-up folks that mass produce split wood the hard way have.

benp

Addicted to ArboristSite
No no... I was being 100% serious. You wont ever find me mixing content from the depths up here in reality.

My grandfather and I used to hand split wood. But it wasn't to heat the house, just for ambiance.

I stand in awe of guys that hand split 10+ cords of wood so I was wondering what type of set-up folks that mass produce split wood the hard way have.

I just split where the cut rounds lay Casey.

I split for many reasons. My heat, friends, profit, and non-profit. It goes by pretty quickly once you break it down. Rarely more than a cord in one place.