Splitting wood with an ax.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fellas, I can't afford a Fiskars right now but will get one later for I sure do have trouble with the sticking in the wood problem and have to beat it out with my small bfh. I have Running Walkers and one Plott. I run in the pens some and on the outside. I got the Plott for a kill dog. I love them hounds.

Fiskars Super Splitter for me. I still use a "star" wedge and maul to split the bigger rounds and dice it up from there using the Fiskars, single bit axe or maul -- depends on my mood. :cheers:

I don't have an auto splitter, so I split it with an ax. This is just for personal use so I don't mind and it's good exercise. I have found this tool called a True Temper 4lb. super splitter which has a head like a maul but you swing it like an ax. Has anyone ever seen one of these or ever used one like it? I also have to use a wedge and sledge at times. Thanks for any replies or tips on splitting. FullCry
I have a 8 lb maul. Blows through 20" pieces of oak like it's not there. I have to keep my toes out of the way. White maple is different. No axe I have cuts through that. Then it's swing the maul and follow up with a ten pound sledge on the maul. <P>As Tim the tool man would say, "Arrr, arrr, arrr."

I use the Gransfers Bruks splitting maul. Beautifually made, perfectaly balanced. Makes what I thought was a good blockbuster before seem like a crude lump of terd.
slaggyxa.jpg

http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/p_slaggyxa.html
Bit of a high initial cost though...

I use a Helko Vario 2000 5lb splittig maul and it blows even big rounds apart like nothin. Not cheap but very well made and the way it's put together makes it easy to replace parts. Plus I can feel the power advantage with that big curved handle. I tried the gransfors maul at a log home show and it was nice, but I liked the Helko better.

ive split quite a few cord with my 8lb maul but used to split with my single bit axe to till some stole it out of the back of my truck.

when i go to work and theres no work for the day i hit the wood pile swinging the maul. i about killed myself one day. then i tried splitn wood with the skidsteer bucket but that didnt work very good.

i had been tryn to save for a 660 but im startn to now think my 1200 bucks might be better spent on log splitter specialy if i keep staying in the firewood hobby.

ive only ever used a maul(6lb) . i split 2-10 cords a year. i also use the "wood grenade) for some of the stringier pieces. its good excersise and tension reliever.

Gransfors seem abit like Snap-on, beautiful tools and a pleasure to use. Tough to go back to the pile-o-crap I had before, (might get a rash) but as others have mentioned, they are spendy.

crapon makes alot of crap to. they also contract with alot of crud makers aswell. they arent what they used to be. you ever pick up craftsmen rachet then go hey i think this is just like my snapon so you go compare them and sure as #### they are. only the snap on is twice as much for a tool that you gota wait for the darned truck to come around to get replaced while craftmen you exchange at sears.

crapon makes alot of crap to. they also contract with alot of crud makers aswell. they arent what they used to be. you ever pick up craftsmen rachet then go hey i think this is just like my snapon so you go compare them and sure as #### they are. only the snap on is twice as much for a tool that you gota wait for the darned truck to come around to get replaced while craftmen you exchange at sears.

I agree, you gotta know what you're buying and research other tool manufacturers. I've noticed a few examples where you get to pay a premium for ho-hum quality, but if you're doing fine at Sears, that's great. That's where the bulk of mine came from as well.

Last edited:
i have alot of mac and snapon. i bought this stuff back when i thought it was cool to have the best now i feel my money would have been better spent at sears

Nothing beats a 6# maul, made either in the US or Canada. Stay away from the ones made in China though, they haven't got the bevel right.
Gypo

I don't have an auto splitter, so I split it with an ax. This is just for personal use so I don't mind and it's good exercise. I have found this tool called a True Temper 4lb. super splitter which has a head like a maul but you swing it like an ax. Has anyone ever seen one of these or ever used one like it? I also have to use a wedge and sledge at times. Thanks for any replies or tips on splitting. FullCry

I use a 4 lb maul. I like it. As you say it's good exercise. I tried an Axe, but I found I needed more weight. The 8 lb is a little too heavy IMO.

I also have a couple of wedges and a hammer for some of the tough ones.

Thanks for all the replies again. I also use a wedge and sledge to. I'm gonna pick me up a 6lb maul soon and try that which is probably about the right weight for my light ass. What a bout big pieces of wood that had limbs attached to them and are hard as hell to bust.....any fast way to bust them besides a auto splitter or dynamite? FullCry

I'll never forget the time I was camping in Death Valley. I came back to camp from a 4WD excursion and the next door neighbors ask for some wood. I said no problem and gave them some rounds of Canyon Oak.

I go into my tent to chill and I hear that infamous sound. Like trying to ax through cement. I cracked up. I give him credit because he tried for a while.

I walk out and go over and he starts to laugh. He says, "this wood :censored: up my ax." I told him that I gave them those rounds to burn as is. And went on to tell them that the oak used to be used to make axles for wagons. Mauls too back in the day.

I apologized for the ax:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back