Spooked.......does it go away?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old timer said:
No matter how you check things can always kick you in the arse, but that's life!!

Old Timer
Boy, ain't that the truth.

As to whether you can get over being spooked. I'm sure many of us have have had a fall, plunge, or frightening gaff out. I hate to use a cliche but you have got to get back on that horse. Start slow-every job done successfully will help you get a little bit of confidence back. After a dozen or so jobs you will start to get your comfort level back. Sure, you may never be the same as before the accident and you will always have that incident in the back of your mind, but use it to help yourself become a better climber.

clearance said:
I get slagged for climbing with spurs, all the time, I often hear its faster, safer, etc, all B.S., a pack of lies. Nothing like this accident will ever happen to me, I climb from the base, with my saw, when I tie in I am looking right at the t.i.p., I can touch it, I know if its good, no guessing, looking through binoculars, no risking my life on a "looks good from here". Not the first time I have heard of a t.i.p. failing, on this site at that. And then the ladder games, climb the ladder till you can get your rope in the tree, ha. But then, its not about human safety to some, risk your life because trees are more important, even around power now.

Hey, thanks for the response. I am just curious since I was taught to not use spurs when pruning, do you use them all the time? Does it in fact harm the tree or is it just asthetically unappealing? Do customers mind? I would like to have them on most of the time as it seems like a secure way to go up. I agree that throwing a bag into a crotch up high is sometimes a big ???, but that is how I learned to get into the tree for pruning. This obviously kicked me in the ass and I will be as careful as possible now when setting my t.i.p., but I am curious if many people use spurs all the time, even when pruning. Not any around here that I know of.

fastbub said:
Hey, thanks for the response. I am just curious since I was taught to not use spurs when pruning, do you use them all the time? Does it in fact harm the tree or is it just asthetically unappealing? Do customers mind? I would like to have them on most of the time as it seems like a secure way to go up. I agree that throwing a bag into a crotch up high is sometimes a big ???, but that is how I learned to get into the tree for pruning. This obviously kicked me in the ass and I will be as careful as possible now when setting my t.i.p., but I am curious if many people use spurs all the time, even when pruning. Not any around here that I know of.
I climb with spurs all the time, I know its wrong, I dont care, I come first. I am glad you are ok, just want you to be safe. If you are in doubt, think to yourself "What is most important here, the tree, the customers feelings, ISA rules or my ass?" Good luck to you.

rahtreelimbs said:
clearance said:
Nothing like this accident will ever happen to me
Good one............'til it does happen.........and it can!!!:dizzy:
Accidents have happened to me, if I tie into something that fails after I have looked right at it, that isn't an accident, its stupidity. If you can't actually see it up close what do you call that? A guess?

clearance said:
Nothing like this accident will ever happen to me
Accidents have happened to me, if I tie into something that fails after I have looked right at it, that isn't an accident, its stupidity. If you can't actually see it up close what do you call that? A guess?

Understood............but.............your statement makes you sound infallible.

As far as climbing without hooks..........lies..........maybe............only in a feeble mind!!!

Spur everything, see your TIP up close! This is Clearance's mantra.

And, doing what he does out in the bush, I'd do the same. And with no restrictions, it is undoubtedly the tree ascention model with the least chance of a booboo.

But Clearance, you refuse to accept that spurs are often NOT AN OPTION on residential work.

I get work orders with Municipal permits attached that read, : "All Work To Be Done By An ISA Certified Arborist Without The Use Of Spurs."

There are ways to accomplish this work safely without leaving gaff marks up every tree.

Fastbub, glad to hear you'll be OK after that TIP failure, what can you tell us about That Particular Tree, that you might have done different? Could you have tossed in lower and advanced your rope from there? Could you have climbed the UP side of that leaner? Was there a neighboring tree you could have climbed and roped down into the leaner?

Now that you've see such a failure, (and By the Bloody Great Moons of Jupiter, your injuries sound ghastly) Do you feel your decision to SRT it was a bit of an over-reach? Did you stress your TIP before ascent?

Thanks for your indulgence, and it takes a big man to talk about mistakes.

(As did Clearance when he took a bite one-handing his 200t, and wrote about it here.)

RedlineIt

RedlineIt said:
Fastbub, glad to hear you'll be OK after that TIP failure, what can you tell us about That Particular Tree, that you might have done different? Could you have tossed in lower and advanced your rope from there? Could you have climbed the UP side of that leaner? Was there a neighboring tree you could have climbed and roped down into the leaner?

Now that you've see such a failure, (and By the Bloody Great Moons of Jupiter, your injuries sound ghastly) Do you feel your decision to SRT it was a bit of an over-reach? Did you stress your TIP before ascent?

Thanks for your indulgence, and it takes a big man to talk about mistakes.

(As did Clearance when he took a bite one-handing his 200t, and wrote about it here.)

RedlineIt

Good questions and I don't mind answering. Tossing in lower was not really an option, the crotch I hit was really the best as it appeared from the ground.
Climbing the upside is a possibility but would have required more time. The neighboring tree idea is a good one that probably could have been utilized in this situation. It was possibly a bit of an over reach. The company I was climbing for really stressed production and I was relatively new. I was aiming to please so I probably didn't take the extra few minutes to look at the alternatives. However I always stress my t.i.p.s, and myself and a rather LARGE groundman stressed it together and all was good so I didn't really think twice about it. Now as I am easing back into the profession, I am stressing quality over quanity. Quality of care for trees and quality of care for myself. I am doing some work for myself right now and am shopping for an employer who has some of the same ideals. I might have found one. We will see in the next couple of weeks.

Nothing like this accident will ever happen to me,

Not doubtin yer talent,when you get assified it bites ya,Remember,,,,,security is never there.All trees/days are diff....pay attention...not the reaper!

l2edneck said:
Not doubtin yer talent,when you get assified it bites ya,Remember,,,,,security is never there.All trees/days are diff....pay attention...not the reaper!

Indeed. Back in the day, the guys that rigged spar poles in the PNW had the highest paying job on the logging show. Besides the risk of cutting their own flip line with an axe, there was the danger that the big old Doug-fir had hidden decay, and could fail at the base or somewhere in between from the rocking after topping the tree. Bummer when you are 150-200 ft. in the air.

Sorry to hear about your fall. Wish you a speedy recovery. Somethings can be curtailed but not controlled. It is good to see that with your substantial injuries, you still type very well.;) Also good to hear that your brain wasn't damaged and you are able to reflect and learn from the incident. Was the previous foot injury from tree work also? Hope your luck changes for the good.

Now as I am easing back into the profession, I am stressing quality over quanity. Quality of care for trees and quality of care for myself. I am doing some work for myself right now and am shopping for an employer who has some of the same ideals. I might have found one. We will see in the next couple of weeks.

Good Idea!

I've worked for companies that saw only the bottom line for that week. They are not good to be around...

Ask about their plan for the next ten years. If they actually have one, you're well on your way.

RedlineIt

i think when the day comes when...........

you're not a little bit scared,nervous or cautious,that's the day to quit climbing.

fastbub,

I believe if you do a little research on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder you might discover that's what you're suffering from. Its a normal reaction to an accident.

Latest posts

Back