sprocket / chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbqwik

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I no longer use my '85 Husky 61 on a daily basis. I modded the p&c and carb with all 272 parts (runs great, btw), and now time for new b&c. I'm going from the stock .058 to a .050 bar, and keep the .375 chain.
My question: Will this combo properly pull an 8 tooth sprocket? If so, will I need a different tooth count on the chain?
Note that due to injury I use the saw only on a "play" basis - no more all-day cutting or anything like that.
Apologize if this subject has been beaten to death, and pls excuse my ignorance. Thanks a bunch.

I tried an 8 tooth on a similar c.c. sized saw (a 441c-m) and I didn't see any improvement running a 3/8 .050 x 20" bar/chain. I don't think a 272 would benefit from it either. I bet it would pull just fine in soft woods, but I saw no improvement in birch which isn't that hard of a hardwood.

I tried an 8 tooth on a similar c.c. sized saw (a 441c-m) and I didn't see any improvement running a 3/8 .050 x 20" bar/chain. I don't think a 272 would benefit from it either. I bet it would pull just fine in soft woods, but I saw no improvement in birch which isn't that hard of a hardwood.

Hmm yes, I do cut mostly hard wood. Point noted. Thanks AKDoug.

Back