Sprocket Cover Nuts Fall Off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Chainsaw is a Stihl MS 271.

I have had this happen twice now, one of the two sprocket cover nuts fell off. Did not notice until i was walking the site after finishing the job, both times! Found one of the nuts on the ground, by good fortune. I believe that i had tightened them enough, but apparently not.

I am thinking of replacing them with Nylocks. What do you think?

Mick

Thank you Philbert, and thanks also to treesmith for the confirmation. Yes, checking periodically is what i shall do. It is quite permanently embedded in my memory now.

I think also i'll add a note into my manual. I have taken a chainsaw safety course and have and use all the proper equipment. But i do lack experience, and get out to the hiking trail or the land trust bush lots for maintenance only a few times a year. So i review the manual before each chainsaw work day. Every time i start that thing i am in awe of the sound and the power, and of the need for care.

Mick

maybe your saw got married........HA

That happens to me on the 066 every now and then. We cut some trees at a cemetery in the snow one year. I didn't check to make sure nuts were tight and one fell off making a stump cut. Went back to grind stumps in springtime and found the nut in the sawdust. Nobody would believe me, but it was still there lol

Well, i am glad to know that i am not the only one, but sorry about everyone else's troubles with these things :)

Back