sprocket spring clip removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you pry it off with the screw driver, hold your other hand in place so it don't take off flying. Very simple to do.

On my 440 it comes off without much issue with a small screw driver. On the Brand new 460 they recessed the clip and I can't get the stupid thing off without breaking something.

Nothing simple on the new saw as far as I am concerned. I was asking myself the same question and gave up... for now..

On my 440 it comes off without much issue with a small screw driver. On the Brand new 460 they recessed the clip and I can't get the stupid thing off without breaking something.

Nothing simple on the new saw as far as I am concerned. I was asking myself the same question and gave up... for now..

I've had mine off of my 460 on a few different occasions. Seemed simple to me.:greenchainsaw:

I use a pair of snap ring pliers, with a end in each notch. Gives it a little bit more even pressure when you try to pry it off.
And a little more control, but thats JMO.

LOL This is funny I once got frustrated and cut one of with a metabo. not recomended but it worked, of course had to replace the washer behind also when finished.:givebeer:

yes it is recessed but WILL come off the same way....you just have to use a little more "Arnold"...

I have to admit, in the beginning they were a little difficult for me also. However, after you do it a few times, you develop a "feel". At this point you'll reflect back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

I have no problems with the clip on my 460. All I use are 2 small screwdrivers to gentley pry it loose.

steve:cheers:

Make sure the clip is turned the right way when installed. The e-clips are punched out in a punch press and will have a crisp edge on one side and a rounded edge on the other side. Make sure the crisp edge is facing outward. This will let it hold more securely to the groove in the crankshaft, and it will slip past the recess in the washer more readily when prying it off.

A hammer - $5.00
A big screwdriver - $2.00
A spare clip - $0.75
A case of cold ones - $12.00
A pack of bandages - $3.00

The satisfaction of finally changing the "gears" - Priceless!

This seems like a very simple question.

How do I remove the spring clip from my sprocket?

Want to change "gears" on my 066.

Hal
I don't have an 066, but on my other inboard clutch saws I just push on it with a left hand fingertip, while prying it loose with a "carb" screwdriver in my right hand. I keep several spares handy, but never needed any of them...

Last edited:
Back