square chain question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I will pick up some files, no one around here uses square grind chains so I will have to order a dozen files since that is how they come and I dont wont to leave my Stihl dealer with files he cant sell. I will just try and use the format the chain comes with and just keep it that way the best I can and not let it get in bad shape.

looking in Northern Tool and Equipment at the Oregon 511a, how is this grinder and how good a job does it do on square chain

I looked at all the Silvey square grinders when I bought mine and one was so clearly the best the decision was a little painful (price) but easy to make.

I bought a Pro Sharp and it makes square grinding very easy. After having a an excellent demo at a dealer, I was able to sharpen successfully the first night I had it. Could never go back to round or another grinder (although I do use my 510 for long semi chisel when I'm cutting up big and dirty stuff.)

I don't know why they need to be so expensive, though. I guess it is simply because the low volume sold.

One suggestion to learning to sharpen square with a file. Use a sharpie or something like that to color the cutter before you file to better see where you are removing material.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back