square chain question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I will pick up some files, no one around here uses square grind chains so I will have to order a dozen files since that is how they come and I dont wont to leave my Stihl dealer with files he cant sell. I will just try and use the format the chain comes with and just keep it that way the best I can and not let it get in bad shape.

looking in Northern Tool and Equipment at the Oregon 511a, how is this grinder and how good a job does it do on square chain

I looked at all the Silvey square grinders when I bought mine and one was so clearly the best the decision was a little painful (price) but easy to make.

I bought a Pro Sharp and it makes square grinding very easy. After having a an excellent demo at a dealer, I was able to sharpen successfully the first night I had it. Could never go back to round or another grinder (although I do use my 510 for long semi chisel when I'm cutting up big and dirty stuff.)

I don't know why they need to be so expensive, though. I guess it is simply because the low volume sold.

One suggestion to learning to sharpen square with a file. Use a sharpie or something like that to color the cutter before you file to better see where you are removing material.

Last edited:
The RSLF is only for .063 guage bars only.

Then the other differences are no skip between cutters, half skip, or full skip. Basically you need more "skipping" between cutters to keep the speed up and to leave space to help clean out the cuttings with longer bars.

I have a 32 inch bar and use the RSLFK - full skip chain.

For sharpening a square ground chain, use a double bevel flat file. Stihl dealers should have these or should be able to order them.

Instructions for sharpening a square ground chain are in the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual (link below to specific page).

Square ground filing instructions...
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_06.pdf

Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/manual_maint.htm

Square Ground Chain Types Summary...
RSLF - Available in .063” gauge only - I have a .050" gauge bar.)
RSLK - no skip
RSLHK - half skip
RSLFK - full skip
I have a Stihl 33 RSFL 114 chain. in box, that reads, for a .050 gauge!

Latest posts

Back