square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohio Hunter

Yes, or at least I do. 1 Because you can see the all important corner and 2 If you are filling on the saw it helps to steady the chain by forcing it into the bar instead of lifting it. Some might do it from the inside, but I dont believe you could see what you were doing.

John

I am a neophyte square filer FWIW, but do it exactly as John has stated for the same reasons.

Russ

Another, for me, important reason for filing into the tooth is that the raw-edge or feather-edge formed in the crome-layer will be broken off - leaving you with a sharper tooth which also makes the tooth stay sharp longer as the crome isn't rubbed back into the cutter when cutting.

Q

Unless you are using the ATOP system, all square files that I`m aware of are six sided, just some have larger flats.

I prefer the Oberg, 150 I believe. Never had much success with the roughly triangular files. BTW, I`d be interested if anyone finds another source for these files.

Russ

The basically triangular chisel bit file seems to have more of a dendency for me to cut into the tie straps and wont do .325 chain. Filling from the outside allows you to see the critical corner and control the hook you are putting on the tooth. I experimented with filing inside out; even tried setting up a mirror to see what I was doing. Some people calim to do it this way but it sure didn't fit my pistol!

Frank

well this aint u question .. but regarding square filling.. ive come to the point where im the best i know in this area at putting out an round filed chain that will cut well. having said that it just obvious that my best work, doesnt quite measure up to the square filed chains done for me be eric ecopsey,also one by john lambert..just thot id thro that in..
so eric after my operation ill be callin on u again:) .. john yours were good also
but the shipping is a good bit higher..

Ola,

Could you post a pic of one of your files? I can`t find anything on them.

Thanks, Russ

Qatanlison:
Looks like half of the flat file I have been getting. The working corner of the 120 Deg. angle looks nice and crisp. Is it thin enough to do .325 chain?

Frank

Frank,

I got a full-chisel .325 yesterday for testing just that!
Full-chisel .325 is very rare over here so I had to order it directly from Oregon...

Q

Latest posts

Back