Squashed my 440..... What now??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlefed89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It was a freak accident, and a sad, sad day, as a 5'+ dbh burr oak took the life of my poor little 440... I didn't have time to tear it apart, but It got at LEAST the muffler, handle, brake handle, and gas tank. Initial inspection made me think the head, and motor survived. I THINK I bought this saw in 03 or maybe 02, it has surely cut several hundred thousand ft of logs, and at a conservative estimate, 500+ cords of firewood. Best little saw I ever had.
So, what are your opinions?? I need a saw in that size range. Do I rebuild?? If so, anyone have a good parts saw reasonable, or know of a good source for parts??
Buy new(ish) as in a used 440, or new 460??
OR, buy a built saw from someone?? I want a RELIABLE, fast, work saw. Gonna run a 20-24" bar, and need something fast. And reliable. And fast.
I have bigger saws, so its not like I'm doing without.
Suggestions??

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Check out the Dolmar line theres a 7310 (73cc) or a 7910 (79cc) but both are comparable to the 440. German made and just as good as its rival. Pm me for details if you want more info! Those are my personal favorites.

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Sounds like its time to try a 372. Preferably a ported XPW.

I have nothing against other brands, but with the other saws I have, parts I carry, and dealer location - sticking with stihl just makes sense for me...

I'D FIX IT. But then, that's me. That's my weakness, I like to revive dead saws just for the challenge of hunting down parts and putting them back together again. If you don't want to put the time and/or money in it then, at least, maybe yours has some donor parts to help somebody else put their Humpty-Dumpty back together again :msp_thumbup:

I have nothing against other brands, but with the other saws I have, parts I carry, and dealer location - sticking with stihl just makes sense for me...
Im going to say, Fix it. You will be dollars ahead and not a thousand dollars lighter.

Don't you dare get rid of it. Replace the broken parts and get a second 440 from Craig's List ($400-450 for a good one locally). Run 'em on alternate days or in tandem to work longer between fuel breaks. These saws are like gold, IMO.

I feel your pain. I managed to bush hog my Stihl pole trimmer. The result was tiny pieces here and there. I managed to save some of the screws. My only choice was buy a new replacement. Good luck with whatever you decide.

A 441C will fill the void nicely. I'd get the 441 for the time being and accumulate parts to put the 440 back together. The 461 Will probably go M-tronic before long, and I'd wait for that (I am waiting for that) if you want a few more cc's. Either way, the 440 is not a throw-away saw, even if crushed by a tree.

Call around

There are dealers that still have the MS440 squirreled away and available from the limited run Stihl did over the past couple of years or so.

Finding a decent used one shouldn't be too difficult, they do pop up frequently.

The only way to find out how bad the rebuild cost will be is to check around. While I certainly feel you pain, smashed saws suck, throwing a lot of money at something that may return less than perfect results should be done with careful thought and not just emotions.

I'll second Saw Dr. on the MS441C-M recommendation. Mine has become my go to saw. You'll find it handles differently from the MS440, but will not take long to adjust.

Take Care

I seen one in the shelf 2 weeks ago. I think it was a hair over $900 on the tag.

It was a freak accident, and a sad, sad day, as a 5'+ dbh burr oak took the life of my poor little 440... I didn't have time to tear it apart, but It got at LEAST the muffler, handle, brake handle, and gas tank. Initial inspection made me think the head, and motor survived. I THINK I bought this saw in 03 or maybe 02, it has surely cut several hundred thousand ft of logs, and at a conservative estimate, 500+ cords of firewood. Best little saw I ever had.
So, what are your opinions?? I need a saw in that size range. Do I rebuild?? If so, anyone have a good parts saw reasonable, or know of a good source for parts??
Buy new(ish) as in a used 440, or new 460??
OR, buy a built saw from someone?? I want a RELIABLE, fast, work saw. Gonna run a 20-24" bar, and need something fast. And reliable. And fast.
I have bigger saws, so its not like I'm doing without.
Suggestions??

are the cases broke by the mounts ? if not i may have a tank ,muffler ,and a brake handle ,i am out of handlebars though,that saw is worth fixing by the sounds of it

Sounds like a perfect excuse to round up all the parts,box it up and send it off to someone who can really bring it to life.Doesn't sound like it owes you anything.

Im going to say, Fix it. You will be dollars ahead and not a thousand dollars lighter.

hmm... I'd buy another runner or near working saw myself. buying a handle for one of those things will set you back $120 all by itself... If you add in plastics and a handle and a few other odds and ends you might as well get a good saw and then use this one as a back up parts saw for the new one. Somehow having a runner with spare parts around sounds better to me for the little bit of extra cash he'd have in it... just my 2-cents.

I feel your pain. I managed to bush hog my Stihl pole trimmer. The result was tiny pieces here and there. I managed to save some of the screws. My only choice was buy a new replacement. Good luck with whatever you decide.

That was probably not fixable !!!

Rebuild. Just did one for a friend.

ms440003_zpse89bf354.jpg

ms440002_zpse497a764.jpg

ms440006_zpse056131a.jpg

finished 440, all 3 were rebuilds, 2 to trees

445372440005_zpse48332e2.jpg

Latest posts

Back