SRT/DRT Setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does this setup look ok to yall?

attachment.php

Though it looks good from what I have been told, the top holes do not meet standards. I run a second line from my backup to the krab from the ascender.

caution

Climb020 said:
Though it looks good from what I have been told, the top holes do not meet standards. I run a second line from my backup to the krab from the ascender.
climb020 does not meet standards:clap:

It looks grossly overcomplicated, slow to set up, relatively expensive, too many parts and slow to get you to what you need to do. Other than that, its gorgeous.

TreeCo said:
It looks pretty good to me but I'm surprised to see you using a blakes drt after backing up your ascender with a Vt. There is a general opinion that the vt is much better than the blake for drt.

I do plan on switching hitches, maybe Distel or Martin or another type hitch thats tied with short legs. I'm just tryin this out with blakes because i am very comfortable on that hitch. Old meets new, gradually phasing over to just new school.

Climb020 said:

I would think that the top holes are at least rated to be used as a backup.
After all isnt that what they are there for? Got a pic of your setup?

Tree Machine said:
It looks grossly overcomplicated, slow to set up, relatively expensive, too many parts and slow to get you to what you need to do. Other than that, its gorgeous.

How would you improve a system like this?

I hesitate to get into that. This thread is about your system, which I find quite interesting. Derailing would be a disrespect. I hope you don't think I was dissing your system with my comments. I'm actually fascinated with it. Personally would never use it, but I still think it's cool. Also, I appreciate all your consistent and quality contributions, Woodchux.

Tree Machine said:
I hesitate to get into that. This thread is about your system, which I find quite interesting. Derailing would be a disrespect. I hope you don't think I was dissing your system with my comments. I'm actually fascinated with it. Personally would never use it, but I still think it's cool. Also, I appreciate all your consistent and quality contributions, Woodchux.
Hey- Absolutely no offense taken here. I only ask how you would improve on this because "You da man" and i know you have great ideas!

TreeCo said:
Here is a photo of the system Mark Chisholm used and won with at an ISA TCC.

I toyed around with the pulley hanging in the top holes like that, but didn't think it was rated for that type attachment. It makes for a much more compact system.

nice looking setup, but looks complicated and cluttered (just my opinion).

woodchux said:
I only ask how you would improve on this because "You da man" and i know you have great ideas!
I don't have anything to offer. I only climb on 1:1 systems, whether single or doubled, and I prefer the simplest, most boiled-down systems.

For ascent (SRT), I'd strip your system down to an ascender and the backup. I'd get rid of the hitch and replace it with a 19 gram tibloc. I would use a caribiner through the top holes of the ascender, like you did, to link the ascender to the tibloc. Done. For descent I'd switch over to a simple piece, knowing where my soft lock is, and knowing where my hard lock is. It's fast, easy, secure and predictable but doesn't work on 13 mm rope. It's just a different animal.

Your system has the advantage that you can be lowered out of the tree from the ground. That's a big advantage if you get knocked unconscious in the tree or have a seizure or get electrocuted or something.

woodchux said:
I'm still not real sure where the line between the two schools is drawn.

I use to think I was new school, I guess in reality that was ten years ago:cry:

Great post WC! I have all that gear, just never thought of using it all together that way. Now I know what I'm doing this afternoon:laugh:

I just learned the martin, which I think I really like......this knot looks a little two much for me though, considering two years ago I was climbing on a taughtline-hitch.

Tree Machine said:
Your system has the advantage that you can be lowered out of the tree from the ground. That's a big advantage if you get knocked unconscious in the tree or have a seizure or get electrocuted or something.

what kind of anchor is best for this?

I will try to get a pic of my set-up for you in a day or so. The holes in the top are for a krab but the krab is to prevent the rope from coming off of the cam.

020 said:
The holes in the top are for a krab but the krab is to prevent the rope from coming off of the cam.
You mean from escaping the ascender shell.
TM said:
Your system has the advantage that you can be lowered out of the tree from the ground.
OTG BOSTON said:
what kind of anchor is best for this?
'Best' is difficult to impossible to say as there are a lot of different ways to approach it. First, it depends if you are using 11 mm or 13 mm rope. Then it entirely depends what friction device or friction hitch arrangement you would choose. If they all perform the same task (allowing a man to be lowered out of the tree from the ground) then who is to say what is the 'best'?

I would start with a rated sling, like a polyester endless sling, to choker around the base of the tree. The link between the choker and the access line is the focal point of your question. Like I say, there's just a lot of ways to go about it. It would entirely depend on what the climber has in his kit.

I use the gri-gri when I have my static line set-up with my climbing rope for double rope entry. I then tie a figure eight after the gri-gri as a back-up incase it ends up slipping. Whatever would be fastest to undo and lower the climber I imagine would be the best. And for some people this may be a figure 8 being it is very easy to use, unlike the gri-gri that takes some time to get a little use to the way it works.

Latest posts

Back