SRT Technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
Okay, I can understand the use of this style for ascending/descending. I use SRT for descending all the time. Well, maybe only when I'm coming out of a spar. :D

I have NEVER used it to enter a tree. From what I can glean from reading previous posts SRT ascension is convenient for only a relatively few amount of trees that I encounter daily.

Brian you mentioned earlier that you were quicker getting to the top using SRT over another climber. I would like to know all the variables involved.

One MAIN variable, that other climber wasn't me. :D

But this is my real question; How do you trim using that style? How do you move around in the canopy of a 150 year old Oak like that? I usually tie-in MANY different times, as I work-out the 4 quadrants of the tree.

HOW do ya'llise guys do that with SRT?

Re: Re: SRT Technique

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Heck, they usually can't even gas my saw without screwing it up. :rolleyes:

Ha! I hear that. With the crap that gets accumulated on the oiler I don't trust 'em to clean 'em out properly. Much less secure it correctly.
But wait, don't you use an Echo? :)

So, who uses SRT for trimming? :confused:

I'll admit, I don't have the latest edition of TCC (it's on my Christmas list). Maybe this is explained there, but how do you retrieve your rope when working SRT once on the ground?

Don't you normally set it at the TIP like normal, tie a running bowline (or use a 'biner) and pull it up? How do you get it back down again? Do you descend in the traditional manner? Do you tie a slickline/zing-it on the loop and pull it down with that?

Enlighten someone (me) who has not been in a tree for over 2 years!:D

Dan

Originally posted by Dan F
I'll admit, I don't have the latest edition of TCC (it's on my Christmas list). Maybe this is explained there, but how do you retrieve your rope when working SRT once on the ground?

Don't you normally set it at the TIP like normal, tie a running bowline (or use a 'biner) and pull it up? How do you get it back down again? Do you descend in the traditional manner? Do you tie a slickline/zing-it on the loop and pull it down with that?

Enlighten someone (me) who has not been in a tree for over 2 years!:D

Dan

I send the trowline over the top, and back down along the trunk if possible and wrap it around the tree. When I get done I repel down on an 8, unhook the wrap, and pull it back over the top, and out of the tree.

I seldomly run a bowline up to the limb because I like for the rope to be over several limbs and crotchs to spread the load out, and it would be a pain to remove.

Butch, you said that SRT would need long ropes when compared to DbRT, but the same rope works for both. If you think about it when standing on the ground using the DbRT the rope is doubled over the limb, same as in SRT and it uses the same amount of rope. I didn't think of that till after we hung up tho.

Also what I do is carry up a shorter length of rope and tie it in at the top, and drop the rope down, so I can get in diff sections of the tree.

Originally posted by Lumberjack

Also what I do is carry up a shorter length of rope and tie it in at the top, and drop the rope down, so I can get in diff sections of the tree.

So whats the need to use the SRT if your gonna go DRT to do your work?

:confused:

When SRT was introduced to tree guys, it was as a method of entering the tree. You throw a line into the tree over one or more crotches (no need to isolate a single limb), tie one end to the base and acsend the other end.
This method is safe, fast, and easy.
Once you got to the top you would abandon the SRT but leave it as an access point in case of an accident or other need to re-enter the tree.
Somewhere along the way, guys figured out they didn't have to abandon the SRT, and just kept working off it.
Just because youdon't work off it, doesn't mean it's no longer a good way to enter a tree.

I could be wrong, but I thought Carl was using the second short rope SRT too.

Yea, if I cant get at another part of the tree, then I climb up, set the short rope and use it SRT, I normall wrap it around the spar or leader, and go with it.

Carl

I don't know who showed me this trick, may have been Brian or I just read it here but this works well in many scenarios:

Pick out a nice high tie in, usually cause you are going to be working somewhere below it, say 10ft or so below your tie in.

Tie a a running bowline, but leave a tail on the bowline about 10 or 15 feet. ---this tail can be as long as you want/need it.

When you are at your landing spot you can then reach out and grab that tail, secure in with your lanyard so you are not on the line, pull the tail down to get the bowline, re-tie a knot and start working on your double rope traditional set up. You will get up there twice as fast on single rope, and then can take a breath while you are setting up your working system.

When I don't use this system I'll usually just tie an old tag line to the loop of the bowline and put it somewhere out of the way, pulling a running bowline loose with a throwline would be hard on the hands, and if it snaps you've got to climb up there to get your rope down.

I do occasionaly tie off the end on the base of the tree, but I never feel as secure as with a running bowline up there. The ground guys can't mess up my running bowline tied 70 ft above their heads.

I love SRTing whne removing limbs on a large spreading live oak, it is so fast to get to the right spot, and most of the hacks around here spike on trim jobs like that and it would take them 10-15 minutes just to get into the position I get into in less than 3mins.
Greg

They had that posted in the back of Sherrills 2003 catalog. They wee using it as an overhead support while cutting the notch on large spars.

Carl

I'll repeat my prognostication again...

Within ten years DdRT climbing will be considered eight-track technology. The rest of the working rope industry around the world works off SRT. Arbos are the only ones who use this system.

If anyone hasn't read the article I wrote for TCI mag on SRT access write to me off line.

MB,

Did you grab a beer to keep yourself moistened and read the threads on SRT at Tre*buzz? And you still don't see the advantage? Hmmm...

Tom

Tom, for me its hard to 'see' the advantages viewing only the printed word. For me to make such a radical change with my rope technique would require more than merely reading about it. And since I am the most advanced-technique climber(take that anyway you like:) ) around here, I have no one to observe and learn from.

Heck, I still use a tauntline hitch! That shows you how 'advanced' the climbers in central La are! :D

I do not frequent tb, but I will read the threads you've suggested.

Originally posted by SilverBlue
Tom, what's the best way to attach and then remove your line after you finish?

I set the line with the big shot. Then I pull it down and attach the side I aint climbing (important) to the tree. Then when I get done, I unhook the biner (Butch:)) and pull the rope back down.

I will post some pics of the job today if I get a chance.

Carl

Sorry but I don't have all the time in the world to look at all the threads.
That's why I asked TOM. Although Mike's chuckle was a good one.
Carl what if you are set really high?
I know that many will benifit from pics.

Last edited:
Mike,

I've asked you not to give all of my secrets up :)

SB,

Have you read my TCI article?

When I'm done I clear my line by pulling on the end just like anyone has done for time upon time. The SRT line is anchored at the base, not the top.

Tom

Latest posts

Back