SS Washers And How To Order Them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll wait

Can't speak for the others, but I'll wait a while longer for the shims and washer set. If that doesn't materialize in a month, I'll probably just go with the washers. Thanks a lot for going through all this. It is appreciated. JR

I am still waiting also If you guys are still making them I would like to be back on the list Thanks Chub

Still Available?

Hi Rob,

Are your shim kits still available? I have not read all of the post so I appologize in advance. More than willing to send you cash in advance.

Thanks
Dean

Shims

There are myriads of folks with pitchforks looking to trade dollar bills for shinny metal shims and washers!!!! Soon we'll be lighting the torches...LOL!!!

Sign me up!!!

I Now need a washer/ shim kit. I sent ya a PM. I also know a machinist that i am sure we could get to help us out. Let me know.

Not sure shims are necessary.

After reading the post on this site, I decided to order the 511A knock off grinder from Northern Tool. I thought that i would need the shims and washers that everyone is taking about but I think I'm missing something. I received my Northern Tool Grinder today and it appears to be identical to the Oregon model. I must qualify this by saying that I have only read and used the Oregon manual and have not actually laid my hands on the Oregon version. By the way, the manual that comes with the Northern Tool model is almost completely useless. Just throw it away and download the Oregon manual....it even shows you how to assemble it! Anyway, I have found only one part that seems it could use improvement. The chain stop that rests against the back of the tooth is angled and causes the tooth to tilt when you pull the chain tightly against the stop. The stop simply needs to be bent so that it hits the BOTTOM of the tooth so that it doesn't tilt it. Honestly, this grinder is well worth the $100. I cut 22-25 FC a year for my wood boiler and I don't even take a file out in the woods. I take 2 chains and I'm good to go! I've sharpened about 20 chains so far and I really cant see where the shims and washers are needed. I hope someone can elighten me on where they go in the assembly. The only real problems I've had is that all of my brothers, inlaws and neighbors are bugging me to sharpen all of their used/old chains as well.

Good Luck..well worth the money!

reynol , just scan back through the info here and there's a good pic of where there putting the washer and shim to take up some clearance and make things a little tighter . After you see the spots where there being put see if your unit is sloppy in those areas , wouldn't it be nice if they took care of this at the factory !!!! Not holding my breath ???

Stihl 041S "Mailbox Full"

Stihl 041S, I attempted to PM you concerning the purchase of a washer and shim kit, got a reply that your mailbox is full, unable to send message. Please advise.

Thanks,
Dowclan

Hi Stihl 041S,

Your inbox is full so I'll try a post.

After reading your posts I recently procured a cheap chain sharpener from Northern Tool and assuming that it is the same model that you created your retro fit kit for, I would like to order a kit from you.

The model I have has an aluminum base with a 30-0-30 degree embossed on it and a very light motor and grinding wheel.

I'll be using it to sharpen the chain for my Stihl 026. The instructions say that a heavier wheel is needed for non DIY chains but they don't say what a non DIY chain is. I'm hoping I can use the thing as is although there is a lot of slop in the chain vise.

Please let me know if and how I can order this kit from you. I can send you cash, check, Paypal and a return envelope.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

Latest posts

Back