Stacks on a Diesel pickup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had two trucks with stacks when I bought them. The last truck I got had a 6 inch miter in the bed. It was way too loud in the cab for the newborn. Every modified truck I've owned got better mileage driving sensible than they did stock. All of these new trucks with multiple injection events have sooted up oil because of the late injection to help meet emissions.

i like the way that stacks look on some trucks. im planning on building up a a 1 ton chev or ford 4x4 diesel and putting stacks on it but im not gonna have a box either im gonna have a homemade skidder/rack on the back for hauling a cord of hardwood at a time.

Good point, Except, where do ya bolt the Gooseneck hitch?

You don't. Of course you couldn't fit one in that Dodge above either and even if you could, I'd like to see a 10K load on the tail when you put the coals to it and scatter iron all over the road. And the tires, lol. There's a reason for a tractor, and it will live a lot longer and be safer too. Not too tough to run a Pete or Kenworth 1,000,000 miles with a minimum of trouble. I'd sleep better at night just knowing I have a good set of binders.

attachment.php

I always laugh at these guys towing 25-30K pounds on a 1 ton. All it takes is once and I hope they don't kill someone.

Last edited:
:agree2:

No haters here... just the voices of harsh reality. It's just a plain stupid thing to do to your truck... :popcorn:

When it comes time to sell your truck those stacks will knock thousands of $'s off of the value of your truck, unless you come across some other schlub that is trying to make up for some deficiency in his life...

Sorry to be blunt, but that's the reality of it, IMHO.

Maybe in Obama, Illinois, but not down here in KY. It will add thousands to yer truck!

I like the sound of a stack, especially on a Cummins. They look ok.

I don't like loosing the room in the bed though. Nor fire hazard. I could just see cutting wood, and throwin it in the truck. And denting the stack. And then catching fire while driving:dizzy:

Would they interfere with towing a 5th wheel?

I wound up going with a 4" MBRP on my 01 Ram/CTD. Sounds good, runs good, and leaves the bed free.

Still though, do like the sound from a stack.

You don't. Of course you couldn't fit one in that Dodge above either and even if you could, I'd like to see a 10K load on the tail when you put the coals to it and scatter iron all over the road. And the tires, lol. There's a reason for a tractor, and it will live a lot longer and be safer too. Not too tough to run a Pete or Kenworth 1,000,000 miles with a minimum of trouble. I'd sleep better at night just knowing I have a good set of binders.

attachment.php

I always laugh at these guys towing 25-30K pounds on a 1 ton. All it takes is once and I hope they don't kill someone.

the class 3-5 trucks have no issues getting the load going and if the trailer is in repair and brakes working right---then no issue..... however, i was pulling a 2 month old toyhauler(~15klbs) and lost a brake solenoid, within the capacity of the truck but it was no fun trying to stop with only the brakes on the truck.... that peterbuild can stop the trailer without the trailer assist, thats the difference....

I've been thinking about getting a set of stacks on my 03 Dodge. Could anyone tell me how hot it gets and how much it cost?
Is this something that's easily done in the drive way or should I take it to a shop? Any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks.
Hey man, i wouldn't put on stacks. Yes, they look awesome, but were made for tractor trailers so the rig didn't have to have 53 ft long tailpipes. Plus in a heavy rain they fill with water, also gotta worry bout the kids, dogs, cats, dirt dobbers,etc. crawlin in them. A friend has them and wished he'd gone with a straight banks 4" system like i did in the conventinal location. His truck gets filthy with soot quick too! And remember, Gail Banks engineering has the fastest diesel pickup on earth that made over 1000hp at the wheels and went 222mph with a 4" single pipe like mine!!! Kepp your money in the bank or send it to banks for a single 4" system...Good luck man

well..this has escalated sense i was on here last a few months ago. lol. I don't like stacks. which is y i don't have them on my truck. personally i view them as being the same as guys that have a harley davidson series truck with harley stickers, tshirts, and seat covers with their bike riding in the bed. ..... :bang: but that is just me....I don't want stacks...but if it is your truck and you want them then go for it....and if you ask me what i think about them...be ready to hear the truth..

my rig, 2007 5.9L HO, 4" straight pipe
manwork003.jpg

The only "stacks" that i want on this truck is the load that its pulling, 2700 lbs/pallet,
manwork002-1.jpg

Last edited:
I was driving down the road with my wife in our new (to us) F350 7.3L and passed a truck with stacks. She looked over and asked "you're not going to put those on this are you?" My reply "#### NO!" The peacock remark seemed spot on to me. I hadn't considered the soot courtesy factor but I somehow doubt that's what you guys are going for.

And by the way I feel the same about the obnoxious as hell coffee can exhaust systems on all the Hondas...maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

stacks on a diesel pickup are ok... i thought about putting a single stack on mine but i like having a cap. Being able to keep the dog back there among other things is nice.

stacks on a gasser pickup on the other hand are not cool in my opinion, unless there on a mud truck for the purpose of keeping mud and water out of the exhaust.

Do you currently have or plan to have in the future a kick'n mullet?

Do your shirts have sleeves?

If you were to floss your teeth could you use a starter rope?

Does your truck currently have any Nascar embellishments on it?

Do you currently have any Nascar embellishments on yourself?

If these questions offend you, you are not ready for stacks.

With all the #### in the box there, it can't be used as a truck anymore. Not even a square tube on the back and tires sticking out past the fenders like that will get you a ticket here in a heart beat.

I can think of a lot better ways to go fast.
Like a fuel altered.
Betcha that Dodge doesn't have the poop to pull all 4 wheels off the ground?

Nanook.jpg

if im not mistaken that is a 426hemi in the dragster(build by dodge)

what about the factory lil' red express with factory pipes on a 360.

if im not mistaken that is a 426hemi in the dragster(build by dodge)

what about the factory lil' red express with factory pipes on a 360.

That is a Hemi, but I was referring to the Dodge diesel. BTW, that's not a dragster but a fuel altered. Fuel altereds were banned from competition and only race exhibition now. The last fuel altered I watched was Nanook and he had some hookup problems and keeping it straight. Even so, he ran a 7.70 1/4 @120 mph which kinda tells you how quick those things are. He backed out of it 3 times in the 1/4. Short wheelbases and lots of power are always a problem.

I had stacks for a while

0115091555.jpg

then I spent 2500 on a bed that I'm NOT cutting a hole in to look cool.

CIMG0053.jpg

Good choice getting rid of the stacks. Now on to the rookie sticks on the front fenders...

my brother put stacks on his f-150....

NO mufflers. That thing sounds like a cummins if you idle it at about 2k. Rapps when you floor it. Sound good when driving normally. He also put marker lights on the roof. Those stacks loosened up some ponies....that truck can light em up through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. HAULS!!! keeps the exhaust from being ripped off too...
View attachment 127003
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back