Started cutting the new site yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
I started cutting on the new site yesterday. It was select logged about two years ago and I bought the tops for $125. I managed to cut three loads yesterday but only had time to split and stack 2 of those. The third is still in the woods. I spent some time clearing a lane to get closer to the wood and then used my sled to haul it out. My prototype brick tongs also went into action but didn't get much use because most of it was sledded out.

The majority of the tops are hard maple and they are pretty much prime right now.

attachment.php

My sled

attachment.php

Wood tongs
attachment.php

attachment.php

My unloading, splitting and stacking zone (aka beer thirty)

attachment.php

I use a wheelbarrow with a piece of plywood on it as a table. When split to the desired size I turn around and stack it on the pile. The plywood doesn't cover the entire wheelbarrow so scraps and bark will fall into it and then I can wheel them away when it gets full. The first load was on the ground and the second in the truck which I will back right up to the splitter and unload right from the truck.

Last edited:
Your pictures (with captions):

The majority of the tops are hard maple and they are pretty much prime right now.

218804d1327159034-tops1-jpg

My sled

218805d1327159126-woodsled1-jpg

Wood tongs

218806d1327159218-woodtongs-jpg

218807d1327159302-woodtongs1-jpg

My unloading, splitting and stacking zone (aka beer thirty)

218808d1327159363-landing-jpg

are those wood tongs or just brick carriers? good concept, never thought of having a tool like that!

They are wood tongs but based on the brick tong idea. I wanted to make something like the wood claw as seen on Baileys but didn't have any "spring steel" and I would have had to buy material, in that instance I would have just bought them from Baileys.
So being a former landscaper and carrying tens of thousands of paver bricks I adapted that idea. With some scrap steel at work I whipped up a prototype to try out. What I discovered is it needs a handle that will run parallel to the wood for better balance and must have some "grippage" this one is very slippery when you have snow on your glove.
Secondly I would like to have two teeth instead of one. One tooth on each end allows the wood to roll and adjust it's center of gravity. There is a possibility of it smashing a toe or shin. All in all I am happy with the idea. It weighs in at about 2 lbs. I will trim some weight off the next design and make the above mentioned adjustments and post my findings. The nice thing is the wood is pinched and poked at the same time so there is less chance of losing it. Although when it rolls, like I mentioned, it sure seems like it is going to fall off but it hasn't. Still want 2 teeth though.

Latest posts

Back