Starting out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhite

Reaction score
Where do you start at to learn the basics.I climbed in the army for many years,taught many people, even cut many trees down,some slave labor(wood burning stove growing up)and some for money,I know there is a lot to learn and so much equipment out there.any advice for someone who wants to get started . Thanks

I started taking Arbormaster classes but I suppose you can always go work for someone.

get a copy of the tree climbers companion.

or go work for a tree guy or tree company for a while.

you could always just wing it like i did.

Arboristsite

I started here. Reading and posting once I got some equipment. I didn't go to far without attending a rec climbing gtg to make sure I had all my knots tied right. Now I've succeeded in several climbs both to make some money back on my stuff and for fun. I also recommend the "Tree Climbers Companion".

There is a nice selection of educational materials on ISA web www.isa-arbor.com but nothing beats getting up there and doing it. A small tree company with a climber/owner with years and years in usually is eager to train so they can rest their weary bones a few days a week. Don't underestimate good ground help that is paying attention to you and not the sawdust boogers deep in their nose. I can't tell you how many times I've recognized another climber getting ready to do something dumb and them doing the same for me. Those moments when you're way up there and realize you could've killed yourself are lessons you don't forget again.

Latest posts

Back