Starting stihl saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes it is just enough to pop the comp release. I look at thebutton between each pull. Of course, not needed on anything smaller than a 460, IMO, but definittely useful on an 084.........:greenchainsaw:

By all means don't rely on the decomp valve to tell you when it "pops" - open the choke at the slightest hint that it wants to start.

Last edited:
How fast do your saws rev on high idle? Is it adjustable? My 260 revs up a little and the 440 takes off at like 1/2-3/4 throttle it seems. the 440 revs too fast for my taste on high idle.

Oh OK. I'm fairly new with chainsaws. My trimmer seems to start fairly easier and my lawnmower only needs 1 pull to start. These are my only experience with pull starts.

My guess is that they have "primers" though. (Actually air purges.)

I've found that the longer the saw sits, the more pulls are required on full choke to get the first initial pop. Usually no more that 6-8 pulls even if my saw sits for a month.

How many pulls depends mostly on how well your saw retaines the fuel in the fuel line (asuming its tuned right) some saws don't bleed back at all, 2 pulls to pop + 1 to run. some saws bleed back fast, set it down for an hour then 8 pulls again to pop.. I run 3/8" fuel line to my saws, 150 pulls to pop.. just kiddin'

Used the saw this weekend and it started right up. :clap:

Pulled on choke until it poped then flipped the switch up. Did two pulls and it started right up.

starting

On my new ms 390, i discoverd that pulling on full choke fast until it pops(3x-4x) then click up one notch. Is statrs after one or two pulls.

Back