Steam powered sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting post Railomatic. Thanks for sharing it. The pics ran out about half way through but it was still neat to read about this operation.:clap:

Amazing site... read it from "cover to cover". Now I have to run out there and see if I can get a tour of the place somehow. I suppose because of liability they can't give tours of it to the public... too bad. I thought it was interesting how they have to sharpen that big blade every 2 hours? Also, I would think that they could somehow build or design a way to sharpen those teeth while it was on the saw. Rig up some sort of jig that held the sharpener in place etc etc. Of course it could be one of those things that looks easy but in reality would not be.

thanks rail for finding that and posting it.

Great place !!!!!!!!!

I would love to own a mill like that in NJ.Only one problem you would need about 20 mill for start up costs.Thank you for that great post NOW that is a dream to own.I love to see great history.

Blade sharpening

Its a great oufit indeed, but they are sharpening those blades pretty frequently at every two hours, sound just like my mill, after cutting Sitka spruce, I find oak is a great one to cut, no need for any lube, I have also found out that the wider the board, the more set is needed on the band.

Its a steep learning curve on a band mill, everything has to be spot on to get the best out of them, another thing I have noticed on my mill is, when the blade is getting dull and the cut is statring to waver slightly, using the two inch bands I have, if I tighten things up slightly, I can get a few more boards before changes, does anyone else do this with their mills ?

when the blade is getting dull and the cut is statring to waver slightly, using the two inch bands I have, if I tighten things up slightly, I can get a few more boards before changes, does anyone else do this with their mills ?

What I have noticed is that the quicker the bands are changed out, the easier it is to sharpen them.

... another thing I have noticed on my mill is, when the blade is getting dull and the cut is statring to waver slightly, using the two inch bands I have, if I tighten things up slightly, I can get a few more boards before changes, does anyone else do this with their mills ?

Rail I even do this on my little Ripsaw bandmill blades when I get lazy and don't want to stop and change blades. Blade starts to dull, boards start to get a little wavy, especially around knots, then a few extra cranks of the tensioning bolt and I'm good for a few more boards. There are limits though, more wear on the mill for one thing, and I have busted a blade tightening too far more than once. And like WRW says, when you let the blades get that dull they are harder to sharpen. What I should do is pull them as soon as they start to get dull. That's what I SHOULD do... then there is the reality of being out in the woods... you're running out of daylight and you just want to finish the #$%# log... pushing limits and damn the torpedoes.

In the days before the big loaders, the A-frame they are using to pick up the trailer also put the logs in the mill pond. There would a couple of cables anchored in the pond wall and the free end would be run under the load and hooked to the A-frame line and snugged up. Then the load would be un-chained and the bunks tripped, most of the load would roll into the water and the rest would go as the A-frame cable was pulled tighter. Put many a load into Port Gamble bay that way.

Back