Sthil 020 AV SUPER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillrowdy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just found a 020 super at my gun dealers store for $200. Gave him $50 and told him to hold it for me. I have been watching Ebay for quite some time and have not been able to find one for sale. This saw belonged to an old guy that could not overcome the compression to pull start the saw so he traded it on a gun. Unit has original bar and chain on it so I would guess it has less than 10 hours of run time. The seller just finished installing a new fuel line and it took three or four times to get the correct line but finally got it finished (best running small saw Ive ever seen).
I have two questions:
1. I know the old guy paid over $650 new for the saw, what is the value of this saw in Excellent condition?
2. I have worked on climbing saws (020,357,335,echos) but never came across a 020 super, how does it rate in the world of climbing saws?

I just sold an 020av to Gypo with a lot of extras.
Mine was my fathers and all original with original bar & sprocket.
We never climbed with it but I can say it is a lot of saw in a small package.
It did take a bit to pull it over, felt like it had a ton of compression in that saw. Is the one you are looking at the original 1/4 pitch or was it converted to 3/8 lp?

I did not look at the chain that close but I would guess that it was 1/4" pitch if that is what it was what the saw came stock with. Unlikely that a weekender would convert.

Also, I was interested if the extra cc's of the SUPER compared to the 020 non super added any desirability or value to the saw.

I wanna feel special don't ya see.
My daughter calls this "fishin for a complement"

If this 020 Super has the chain brake and electronic ignition, is in as good of shape as you say $ 200 is an average price for a saw like that. I have two like that, semi retired climbing saws, but not in mint condition. I always thought if I sold them I would maybe get about half or a little less than half, what I paid, no dice on that one, they only bring about $150 to $200. I was a little disappointed on that one, to say the least.

The reason they were so pricey when new was because they were hand assembled and each screw, nut and bolt were hand torqued to certain specs. Sthil quit making the 020 and came out with that piece of junk 020Twith one jet. The MS is just an improved version of the 020T with two jets on the carb. Personally I think the MS is just as good if not better than those old 020's, not to mention lighter. One thing about an 020 super was that if you took care of it, you could not kill it no matter how hard you worked it.

Larry

Excellent answer Ax-Man.
I see 020T's sell for $200 on Ebay!
You would think a Super would go for more than the T.

Latest posts

Back