Sthil 034 tensioning screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twowithone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Came across a 034 with a what Ill call a front tensioning screw its in the front of engine can that be converted to a side tensioner there,s a hole in clutch cover for your scrench to go into. When I go to tighten the chain up the scrench keeps hitting the bar it,s a real PITA. tHX.

Came across a 034 with a what Ill call a front tensioning screw its in the front of engine can that be converted to a side tensioner there,s a hole in clutch cover for your scrench to go into. When I go to tighten the chain up the scrench keeps hitting the bar it,s a real PITA. tHX.
Someone grew up spoilt.
Once upon a time, not so very long ago- ALL chain tensioning screws were in that pita spot- you learn to use them.
Get an original sized long bladed Stihl scrench and work it about 30 degrees from parallel to the bar, so the wrench part does not foul the bar during a rotation.
Could also be a non original or worn slot on your adjuster bolt- replace it. The original should have a fairly deep slot that allows the screwdriver end of the scrench to engage but not needing to be dead square on.

Looks like you have this one:
1631659968582.png
Parts 33, 34, and 35. These were later replaced by the side tensioner mechanism. Converting a front tensioner to a side is never easy and might be virtually impossible. Lots of new parts involved.

Depending on age, Stihl used front type to save a few pennies on last couple years of woodboss 57cc version.
the later ones can be converted to side type. Remove bar plate and see if has pre drilled and threaded hole and round boss inside adjuster cavity.

Have 2 034s the 1 mentioned and the other 034 is a side tensioner. As someone mentioned to save a few pennies thx wood Dr. thats it.No hedgecutter I didnt grow up spoiled Im 65 and it is a stupid design Sthil knew this also thats why they went to side tensioners you ever here the term work smart not hard that applys to Sthil

Have 2 034s the 1 mentioned and the other 034 is a side tensioner. As someone mentioned to save a few pennies thx wood Dr. thats it.No hedgecutter I didnt grow up spoiled Im 65 and it is a stupid design Sthil knew this also thats why they went to side tensioners you ever here the term work smart not hard that applys to Sthil
The side tensioners fail more often IMHO than the old style, which are simple and work fine. I've had a side tensioner fail on one of my 036, which is same as the 034

I did have a front tensioner fail on my Husky 257 last week. The adjusting screw snapped in half after I bounced the chain a little during a noodle cut. I replaced the screw and it's good to go. That was the first chain tensioner I ever broke, front or side, but I must admit that I have repaired a bunch of them that others have broken one way or the other.

I did have a front tensioner fail on my Husky 257 last week. The adjusting screw snapped in half after I bounced the chain a little during a noodle cut. I replaced the screw and it's good to go. That was the first chain tensioner I ever broke, front or side, but I must admit that I have repaired a bunch of them that others have broken one way or the other.

How many side cover mounted tensioners have you seen mashed by "non thinking" owners putting the PTO cover on without checking the adjuster lines up with the hole in the bar, then crank the stud nuts till they near pull the studs out of the case?
I have seen a few.

Yes, Bob, that's a common problem. The chain should be partially loose before the final tensioning and then the stud nuts tightened to secure it. If the chain gets tighter during the final tensioning and the bar moves with it, usually the adjuster is lined up with the hole in the bar.

Yet another mistake is that the stud nuts are also commonly over tightened enough to strip the threads inside the case. I've fixed those a bunch of times.

How many side cover mounted tensioners have you seen mashed by "non thinking" owners putting the PTO cover on without checking the adjuster lines up with the hole in the bar, then crank the stud nuts till they near pull the studs out of the case?
I have seen a few.
With bar Cover tensioners when they don’t align pin, it breaks screw or worse case the cover. With crankcase tensioners, when they are not aligned they can damage Crankcase and have chain oil leaking through from oil tank

Latest posts

Back