Sthil 180c as second saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhmcus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All

I am looking to get a limbing and pruning saw. This saw will compliment my Husky 359 with a 20" bar. Ive looked at serveral saws both Husky and Sthil and like the 180c. That being said is the 180 as good as a the huskys and lastly the 180c is advertised as a 4mix saw. I think thats different than a 4 stroke? Can I use the same fuel in the 359 as the 180c?

Thanks

Rich

I didn't know they put out the 180c a 4 mix saw. My 86 year old dad & I bought a new 180 last winter with the easy start and it is the standard 2 stroke. The only saw that he can start cold without assistance. He had the dealer put on a 16 inch bar with a bigger then standard chain. He seems to like every thing about it from the power to the handling. Compared to his little Husky ( I think its a 42 with a decompression valve) it starts in fewer pulls for us, runs smoother, handles very nice. It is I think smaller displacement then the Husky and considerably lighter.I am sure it would do a little better powerwise with an 14 inch bar. Not meant to be a professional saw I do not know how well it will hold up if you push it long hours.
I have used the 4 mix pole saw which I really was impressed with its torque. I think the 4 mix would run cooler and be more reliable for extended use. I believe it is meant to take the same mix as the new stihls or husky 50 to 1,if not that is what my employer was using at the time.
I personally seldom use that small of a saw(180) unless I am up in the air, or packing light when maintaining trails. I like the 026 pro for most of my small saw work,(similar to 260 pro). 250's handle nice and have good power with an 16" bar and are not to expensive, their not considered professional models although I feel if you service the air filter regularly, (which is easy) they make dandy limbing saws. My experiance and observations is most stihls spend less time in the shop then huskys and they have better resale value old. Power and handling is close,neither is perfect.

180 recomended as a second saw

I bought a 180 (2stroke) for the missus a couple of years ago and have stolen it back! It is a great little saw when you need to do some trimming where the skill saw just won't go. I've used it for getting the bigger saws out of tight spots (oops!) and for cutting down 2 foot macrocarpa trees when the family wants some more sun at the other end of country. I recommend the std pico chain as the power of the saw is ideally suited to it. Possibly the only weakness is when the cutters get sharpened to about half way they are quite weak and can snap off in hard wood but hey thats why you use the bigger saw and buy this one for the wifehttp://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
;). Oh and its great for climbing trees too! which of course we never do with a chainsaw...right

rhmcus said:
That being said is the 180 as good as a the huskys and lastly the 180c is advertised as a 4mix saw. I think thats different than a 4 stroke? Can I use the same fuel in the 359 as the 180c?
Rich

The 180 has the Quad Power 2-stroke engine (4 transfer ports). This is not the same as a 4mix. Stihl has not yet released a 4mix saw for sale (except pole saws).

You can use the same fuel mix in the 180 and the 359. You can also use the same mix in a Stihl 4mix.

Chaser

I had a 2 stroke MS180 at one time. I used it as a 2nd saw to my 029. I also had it equipped with a 16" bar. I can tell you that, up to this point, that has been my favorite saw yet. It was light, easy to handle, and was one gutsy lil' thing for it's size. I just got tired of hauling two saws around whenever i went to cut firewood. I traded my 029 for an MS260 and sold my MS180 to my Dad. I figured the 260 would have benefits that both of my prior saws had - almost as powerful as the 029, yet lighter & smaller.

Best part of my Pa owning the 180 is I still have access to it!! :clap:

180c as second saw

All

Thanks for the good tips and information. This does give me some information I didn't have earlier. I am going to post a new thread about the sthil warranty.

Rich

Latest posts

Back