Sthil MS 461 vs Stihl MS 660 Dyno tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spose a question i have to ask myself, if porting them makes them so much better, why don't they come out ported as stock.

There are a few on this site with some real-world experience with them. I haven't had the opportunity unfortunately as I really liked my old 660. To paraphrase what I've heard is that that it seems to be a genuinely better equal/alternative to a 390xp, which is not to damn it with faint praise. If thats what your're looking for it might be the ticket. For 90cc+ sized saws, I want torque which is where the 395xp, NLA-Dolmar 9010 and 100+cc saws come in. I suppose outside of personal preference with regards to looks and handling, the larger question is with regards to your intended usage for the saw. If I were a timber faller, I'd lean towards this or a 390xp (or a MS461 or 372xp ported) and probably be fine. For my usage in stumping Hedge and Oak varieties, I went with a ported 9010 due to the torque and price-point although parts are already becoming a PITA for my 9010...
I hope that helps some.

I don't own one, but I did run a 661 briefly. They are awesome saws. The general feedback from those that own them are they are much stronger running, smoother and more fuel efficient than a 660. Hands down a better saw.

Go to the thread "Dyno tested Mastermind ported 660 vs stock vs dual port muffler" and you can see the difference that muff mods and porting make (in a graph).

I don't own one, but I did run a 661 briefly. They are awesome saws. The general feedback from those that own them are they are much stronger running, smoother and more fuel efficient than a 660. Hands down a better saw.

Go to the thread "Dyno tested Mastermind ported 660 vs stock vs dual port muffler" and you can see the difference that muff mods and porting make (in a graph).

Well I'm a big dyno guy and I can't argue the results, thanks OP for doing the test.

But I have a 660 and a 461. I will admit I haven't run them long but I do run them side by side. In my experience noodleing 24"L to 26" L wood ( what I buck most of my firewood to) my 660 with a 28" bar can take a heck of a lot more pressure when I dog it in without slowing than my 461 running a 25" and I mean a lot.
Both saws are 100% stock with carb limiters in place. I wonder why, maybe I got a strong 660 and a weak 461. It really is odd because I was thinking if the 461 was so good I would sell the 660, no chance from what I've experienced. I may sell my 362 and just run the 461 though it's a pretty awesome saw. Thus far I'm just not seeing what you have show to be true, at the same time I can't argue your numbers.

Wonder what's up???

Well I'm a big dyno guy and I can't argue the results, thanks OP for doing the test.

But I have a 660 and a 461. I will admit I haven't run them long but I do run them side by side. In my experience noodleing 24"L to 26" L wood ( what I buck most of my firewood to) my 660 with a 28" bar can take a heck of a lot more pressure when I dog it in without slowing than my 461 running a 25" and I mean a lot.
Both saws are 100% stock with carb limiters in place. I wonder why, maybe I got a strong 660 and a weak 461. It really is odd because I was thinking if the 461 was so good I would sell the 660, no chance from what I've experienced. I may sell my 362 and just run the 461 though it's a pretty awesome saw. Thus far I'm just not seeing what you have show to be true, at the same time I can't argue your numbers.

Wonder what's up???

~15cc difference in displacement gives the nod to the 660 as load/bar length increases. The 461 is a screamer at higher RPMs but when the revs drop under load so does power while the 660 keeps on lugging.

~15cc difference in displacement gives the nod to the 660 as load/bar length increases. The 461 is a screamer at higher RPMs but when the revs drop under load so does power while the 660 keeps on lugging.
No replacement for displacement, isn't that how it goes?

Back