Sthil MS 461 vs Stihl MS 660 Dyno tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
One of you fellas wanted this test so here are the #'s. At 10,000 rpms the 461 and the 660 were almost tied for hp. 461 had .05 hp advantage. At 9250 rpms the 660 had an small advantage of .14 hp. At 8840 rpms the 660 had an advantage of .744 hp. As you can see the 461 is a strong beast and held up well to the 660. I always thought the 660 was sluggish until it was wearing a big bar. That makes perfect sense here because the 660 gained as the load was increased. I wanted to pull the 660 lower but the dyno ran out of resistance to hold the torque back at a steady rpm. I'm going to put an 8 or 9 pin sprocket on the saws so I can load them harder. I'll get my larger sprockets and pull this 660 lower.
I'm more giddy than my five year old at Christmas. Buckets of fun! My wife thinks I'm nuts but I overheard her telling a friend about the cool chainsaw testing machine I built. If ya gotta be nuts to have fun then I'm all for it:rock:

Yeah had an infection that started in my tonsils and ended gettin into my blood which landed me in the ICU. Finally got my tonsils removed Thursday.

Dam Bro. I was thinking about you in the the last couple of days while I was doing window time. Was trying to remember the last time I had seen a post from you and couldn't remember. Seems like there for a while you were in every thread. Glad your on the rebound.:msp_wink:

Dam Bro. I was thinking about you in the the last couple of days while I was doing window time. Was trying to remember the last time I had seen a post from you and couldn't remember. Seems like there for a while you were in every thread. Glad your on the rebound.:msp_wink:

Im back !!!

And thanks bud :rock:

The 461 sure is a dandy. I cant wait till the 661 is out cause I'll have one and test it against the 660. I'm sure the 661 will be a strong one so the 660 will have to go. Any word on the 661?

One of you fellas wanted this test so here are the #'s. At 10,000 rpms the 461 and the 660 were almost tied for hp. 461 had .05 hp advantage. At 9250 rpms the 660 had an small advantage of .14 hp. At 8840 rpms the 660 had an advantage of .744 hp. As you can see the 461 is a strong beast and held up well to the 660. I always thought the 660 was sluggish until it was wearing a big bar. That makes perfect sense here because the 660 gained as the load was increased. I wanted to pull the 660 lower but the dyno ran out of resistance to hold the torque back at a steady rpm. I'm going to put an 8 or 9 pin sprocket on the saws so I can load them harder. I'll get my larger sprockets and pull this 660 lower.
I'm more giddy than my five year old at Christmas. Buckets of fun! My wife thinks I'm nuts but I overheard her telling a friend about the cool chainsaw testing machine I built. If ya gotta be nuts to have fun then I'm all for it:rock:

I am not that surprised. I have told several people that it just depends which one has the better chain when I run my 460 versus 660 stock saws. The only time the 660 has a clear advantage is when you put them 25" into rock maple. The 460 has a mm now so its really hard to tell the difference at all. I plan on doing a mm to the single port cover on the 660......if I keep it. I really like the wicked work saw ported 395 that I just bought.

Thanks for removing any doubt that I had about the difference between these two saws.

The 461 sure is a dandy. I cant wait till the 661 is out cause I'll have one and test it against the 660. I'm sure the 661 will be a strong one so the 660 will have to go. Any word on the 661?

It'll be toward the end of the year before I can order one. M Tonic!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back