Sthil MS 461 vs Stihl MS 660 Dyno tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 25" and 36" for my 660, all I've done with the 36" is buck logs for firewood. It's the most saw I've ran in wood so far but I'm no seasoned veteran. Are the 460 saws as good as the 461?

Yes, the 660 is not a cookie cutter. My 660 wears a 36" bar. The 660 can chug along with its low end torque

You need to be able to load those R's down more.

I have three, all bone stock, one 066 late model and two running 660's for comparisons if your interested.

Did you run it with a 066 cover, the dual port can?

Sure is funny how times change. I remember when the 660 was the thing to have! Nowadays it sounds like it is almost embarrising to admit that you have one. (I don't have one)

Lets not bash the 660 so much. It will handle a larger bar better than the 461 will. It's got 20% more power at 8800 rpms. A 9 pin sprocket is on the way so I can test the 660 at lower rpms. The 9 pin will spin the pump faster and pump more oil so I can kill it. The 660 was the first saw I couldn't kill so that tells me it has more ass than the rest. I'm positive the 660 will kill the 461 below 8000 rpms. More low end grunt means you can dig in the felling spikes and pull a little more as the saw will keep chugging without stalling.

Lets not bash the 660 so much. It will handle a larger bar better than the 461 will. It's got 20% more power at 8800 rpms. A 9 pin sprocket is on the way so I can test the 660 at lower rpms. The 9 pin will spin the pump faster and pump more oil so I can kill it. The 660 was the first saw I couldn't kill so that tells me it has more ass than the rest. I'm positive the 660 will kill the 461 below 8000 rpms. More low end grunt means you can dig in the felling spikes and pull a little more as the saw will keep chugging without stalling.

Sorry I couldn't help it, I think you are doing a great job!

I'll test the saws again tonight with an 8 pin. This should get the low rpm torque I'm thinking the 660 has greatly over the 461

I would like to see the 660 tested again with a respectable MM, as the saw was designed before the EPA messed it up.

Might just be brilliant marketing before the release of the next generation of saws, especially since it involves a different technology. If you can make the old lame then the new will seem much more brilliant and perhaps more worth a rather impressive price increase.

I would like to see the 660 tested again with a respectable MM, as the saw was designed before the EPA messed it up.

Yeah I noticed a difference at least in throttle response after I removed the epa choked up muffler from my 660. The exhaust outlet is smaller than most 50cc saws.

Im really hoping my beloved 660 is not a $1000 turd.

Back