Sthil MS 461 vs Stihl MS 660 Dyno tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my 9010 doesn't end up being what I was looking for, then a 395 will replace it. I really liked the 660 I had and it did well with a "36 bar (7-pin pulling full-comp 3/8 semi-chisel) stumping Hedge, Locust, Pin and Burr Oak. It did NOT have the same A/V, oiling ability or torque as a 395 (stock for stock) which is why IF I buy a 395 it will either be straight from Terry with the works, OR it will go to see the Monkey as it will be my stumping saw. Otherwise my 372 may not have the torque that a 461 does, but it'll haul the mail just fine and handles quite well, outside of the damn high-pitch air injection sound... I know it works but it's enough to drive you to drinking WITH hearing protection...

Chad, I love what you're doing and am all for it!!!:bowdown::clap:

Injected 70cc...................

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2
Id say more along the lines of mtronics or direct 76cc. For me that range makes alil more torque?Ive had the 441c and a 461 and that lil xtra grunt makes a difference?

Would high pressure direct injected turbo diesel with lightweight engine materials work good?

There's some turbo diesels in drag racing running 8,000 rpms, producing 1,700 hp with just 50 psi from a supercharger in only 7 liters. ;)

Saw likely won't even slow down at all in the cut :)

i wish they would have made a 660 along the same lines as the 461......i really like that saw.
I haven't had the opportunity to run a 461 yet, but if it's as good as y'all say it is, a bigger brother would be just the ticket. I guess the three biggest things I want in a saw along the lines of 90cc+ are torque, GOOD anti-vibe and enough oiling to replicate the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Reasonable weight and handling would be a plus. My 50cc-70cc saws are the ones I do all of the limbing and much of the bucking with. The big saws are trunk and stumping saws for me where I want torque similar to a Peterbuilt...

Just my $0.02 as I am not a faller and have never confused myself with one. I just cut 15-25 cords/yr and like to have the right tool for the job and tools that will last a long time. A 350 Chevy or 351 Ford will get a lot of general work done in a pickup, but when you're latching onto 10K+ that's where the big-blocks come in (preferably compression ignition). The same applies to saws for me.

One of you fellas wanted this test so here are the #'s. At 10,000 rpms the 461 and the 660 were almost tied for hp. 461 had .05 hp advantage. At 9250 rpms the 660 had an small advantage of .14 hp. At 8840 rpms the 660 had an advantage of .744 hp. As you can see the 461 is a strong beast and held up well to the 660. I always thought the 660 was sluggish until it was wearing a big bar. That makes perfect sense here because the 660 gained as the load was increased. I wanted to pull the 660 lower but the dyno ran out of resistance to hold the torque back at a steady rpm. I'm going to put an 8 or 9 pin sprocket on the saws so I can load them harder. I'll get my larger sprockets and pull this 660 lower.
I'm more giddy than my five year old at Christmas. Buckets of fun! My wife thinks I'm nuts but I overheard her telling a friend about the cool chainsaw testing machine I built. If ya gotta be nuts to have fun then I'm all for it:rock:
You don't need to dyno test them, just work with them everyday. I use them both daily and the 660 has loads more torque than the 461.

I could about guess you have never ran a ported 461?
What i'm really trying to find out is any news on the 661. My local Stihl dealer still has 2 660's on the shelf, once they are gone it is purely 661's and i want to know how they compare. You guys in the states have had the 661 for awhile and i want a comparison. In Oz they have only just been released.

Back