Sthil MS 461 vs Stihl MS 660 Dyno tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rant warning:
I cuss design engineers almost every day at the shop. It wasn't always that way. Things used to be designed so you could access what you needed to for common maintenance. Less common stuff could have you pulling out your hair over access problems. Nowadays, you often have a hard time just seeing the oil filter, forget trying to reach it. Even worse, with some brake setups, you have to pull the spindle to get the rotor off!
The list of stupid designs gets longer every day. We need a law that requires engineers to actually use, or maintain, the stuff that they design for 2 years out of every 5.
Stuff that is designed by folks like Chad seems to have less plastic, better durability, and ease of use. Keep up the good work.
Rant complete.

Well mate you are a rare new guy to actually apologise so kudos to you :) I think the comment that rubbed a few people up the wrong way was your "BS" comment. That came across a bit blunt and harsh, particularly in your first post. Explaining why you think the OP's dyno results were wrong would have helped a lot.
On another note I 100% agree with you about a stock 461 beating a stock 660. I hear a lot of guys saying that in small wood my "insert small saw here" will beat my "insert big saw here". The 461's are a very strong saw though, no doubt about it. A 17cc odd difference in capacity is a lot to cover though when no porting is involved.
If these guys leant into both saws I'm sure they would have a different opinion. I did a video up a while ago with my two ported Dolmar 7900's, my ported 390XPG, and my bog stock Husky 3120 in 22" odd hardwood with the same bar and chain. The 3120 ran last and the RSC chain was starting to get visibly beaten up. All had the same size rims fitted. The 3120 absolutely flogged the other saws by a considerable margin.
If small saws could indeed hand a larger saw their arse in smaller wood (all things being equal) then they wouldn't have capacity classes in chainsaw racing.

***If anybody owns both a 461 and 660 please insert comparison video here...

i have a 461 and a 660 ,both ported by the same builder ,the 461 revs a little higher so has more chain speed ,cutting a cookie may be a second faster in a 30 second cut ,lean hard on them ,the 660 will have more tourque due to the bigger bore ,my 440 hybrid weighs less than all of them and has comparable cut times but a little less tourque yet ,but with a square sharp chain it works well ,and it is lighter than the other 2 so guess which one i grab the most ,I also have an old model 066 with the flat top plastic ,that one is pretty different or special on it's own ,i can lean on that old saw more than any saw i have and it keeps going asking for more ,i run 32 inch bars on all my saws if matters for the comparisons

My 461 is the first saw I have used where I need to use the de comp valve. It's got some major compression. It should really have a bigger handle on the rope. The handle likes to slip threw my fingers when starting.

i have a 461 and a 660 ,both ported by the same builder ,the 461 revs a little higher so has more chain speed ,cutting a cookie may be a second faster in a 30 second cut ,lean hard on them ,the 660 will have more tourque due to the bigger bore ,my 440 hybrid weighs less than all of them and has comparable cut times but a little less tourque yet ,but with a square sharp chain it works well ,and it is lighter than the other 2 so guess which one i grab the most ,I also have an old model 066 with the flat top plastic ,that one is pretty different or special on it's own ,i can lean on that old saw more than any saw i have and it keeps going asking for more ,i run 32 inch bars on all my saws if matters for the comparisons
hey didn't you just get an 064? or was it the early 066?

Hey Hill Billy... What made you dig back on this old thread anyway? I was also thinking you were going to explain how a dyno works. Spill the beans man!

I wish a few would go back and read the first post on this thread. I stated the 660 had more grunt the harder it was pulled down. The 461 had a very slight gain at 10,000 rpms but then lost the battle at lower rpms. Not bashing a 660 cause I know it has torque and it showed with a 36" bar in hardwood. I sold my 660 only because I have a good running 461 that runs a 36" bar well the very few times I need 36"

By the way guys I wanted to let you know it felt really good to have a bunch of great members here back me up. I was a couple days late. Thanks!!!!

As for Hill Billy he made me a bit angry but I'm over it and would love for him to come back here and share.

Any of you consider there I room for "book learning" & for OTJ street smarts. They complement each other, not fight each other. A healthy balance of both is usually the key to success in the reAl world.

I will send a bone stock 7-10 mac when I get it running right do you see what a real chainsaw can cut versus those two anemic poser saws stock...you pick up the shipping...

Latest posts

Back