Sthil MS 461 vs Stihl MS 660 Dyno tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow !!!!!!!!
A new dude calling out a well respected, proven genius. What Chadihman has done was basically considered impossible by most. He did it well, and made it look easy while he did it. The only bs I see is what youre throwing ......................for cryingoutloud ............... 3 posts and just joined Saturday. YOU have alot to learn

Welcome to the new Arboristsite :) I started a thread about this sort of thing a while back. Guess who whined about it and guess who liked the thread and agreed with me...

lts good too see Chad's thread revived....he has offered to test saws, compare members/builders saws and make a contribution to this place that would help us all understand things better. lt just seems he gets the door slammed in his face and told his dyno is s#&t. l bet the naysayers could'nt build one nor understand how usefull a tool like this is. lf l built saws for a living l could not think of a more usefull piece of kit full stop!

Chadihman I think what you are trying to do is get on testing these saw . But on the other hand I think your in way over your head you posted numbers on here that are bs. I thought this page was for good information . A guy who has a tractor on his signature should know how a dyno works. If you can put a good pull on it you can test it . I also love it when people say a 461 will out cut a 660 in wood up to 24" this to is just bs . If you really want to see what your 461 is mad though a bigger pin sprocket on both of them and see what happens pretty sure you won't be bragging on your 461 for long . All I'm trying to say is the 660 is the 461 bigger brother but with that being said I don't think stihl had planned on people running a 660 with a 20" bar cutting small rounds .

His name matches his post perfectly. The only thing that is correct.

happy late b day Matt!
hill billy, how about some info on you? are you a logger or some one who runs both saws? you cannot just say that with out having used both. I do own and use both, I will say the 660 WAS a turd until I had it ported. the 461 was dam nice right out the box.

Exactly right. I wouldn't call the stock 660 a turd but a few simple mods makes a whole different and better saw out of it. The 461, stock out of the box, impresses me more than any saw I've seen in a long time.

As far as Chad goes, he's invested a lot of his own time and money in something that can be of benefit to all of us. We owe him for his efforts and his dedication. Most people realize that. I think hill billy needs to spend a little more, maybe a lot more, time here before he starts running his mouth about something he obviously doesn't understand.

I think hill billy needs to spend a little more, maybe a lot more, time here before he starts running his mouth about something he obviously doesn't understand.

Mouth running from the get go is run of the mill now mate. Once upon a time people asked questions, listened and learned, and actually respected older members. If they disagreed with something and felt the need to comment they did so respectfully.

Mouth running from the get go is run of the mill now mate. Once upon a time people asked questions, listened and learned, and actually respected older members. If they disagreed with something and felt the need to comment they did so respectfully.

LOL...You're starting to sound like a certain beat up old Northern California logger I know well. Better watch out, people will start thinking you're as grumpy as he is. :laugh:

And tell those damn kids to get off of my lawn!

oh don't get me wrong, 660 is a good saw, just not the bigger better 064 I thought it would be. now after being worked on, it is what it should be. just sayin, as stock it is not the same only bigger as the 1128s.
I hope he comes back to talk and let us know what he does with saws.

I agree. The first 066 I bought wasn't as strong as I thought it should be. I thought it would be a big improvement over the 064. It wasn't. The first 660 I bought was a step down from that.
I bought another 660 to have modded...just out of curiosity. TreeSlingr turned a so-so saw into a good faller's saw. Quite a difference.

Yah, once upon a time they had a thing on this site called rep. They also frowned upon people diving in and stirring the shyte, especially if they did not have any experience with what they are running on about. We would simply bury these posts with neg rep, and they would be gone pretty fast, glowing bright red. As MCW has been griping about here of late, many a noob comes along and smack mouths this or that, seemingly at random and with zero experience in what they are posting about. Its an epidemic: 660s suck, dynos suck, used motor oil is great for bars, TCW-3 oil makes great saw premix oil, Husky sucks, Stihl sucks, So and so's ported saws suck, 100 octane leaded AVgas is great for huffing, Chicom knock-offs are the best, yadda yadda...

I liked my 066s. They were good saws. Both had magnum dual port mufflers though, and some internal tinkering done to them. Blew the clutch bearing out in one, and sold it off as parts in Ebay. I sold the other one as I do not use it enough to justify the shelf space. They do suck gas though... I will admit to that.

My 066 walks all over my 461 tried my 461 for the first time today with a 25. The chain stopped in the wood several times. Haven't tried my 660 yet.

if its a new saw then it will get much better.....if not then its not right.
mine wears a 28 and eat hard wood up......it did take a bit to break in.
It's 1.5 years old the chain is sharp but not much left on it. The bar seems bent a little too . I will try the 25 bar and chain off my 066 and see if it's better. I mean it's strong but not near an 066 .

I think the chain is crap. The rakers look too low. I will get a new chain. Also there seems to be a big dent in the front of the muffler. I'm guessing it's not suppose to be there. ?

Back