Sthil MS200 to saddle question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JTinaTree said:
Mike, you can clip it to the caritool I have with one hand the gate is spring loaded. However It does reqiure two hands to unclip of course....

I have a similar set up with a kong biner and it's a key gate which is a pain in itself. I always use 1 hand to clip and un-clip the saw. Use your thumb to hold the gate open while your finger sweap down and pull up the saw. Works everytime.

Bungee style

I wear a Versitile saddle it has a small leash like clip on the side that I clip my saw into. I use the bungee style lanyard Girth hitched around the handle of the saw to which point the large ring sticks away perfectly and close to the saw. I then clip the small ring and the large ring both at the saddle. I can clip and unclip my saw with my forefinger and thumb. Advantags: the saw stays close while climbing. The bungee gives the ability to reach and streaches. Its brainless no mickey mousing involved knots duct tape what have you. The best part of my set up is simply the clip mechinanism standard on the saddle. I guesss the newer saddles allow more personal tweekability. As usual it comes down to safety, comfort, and personal preference.

rahtreelimbs said:
Anyone here follow Ekka's lead and try the "open hook" arrangement???

That's not my preference, I like to no that my saw is clipped in to something.
But it does look like it makes saw handling very easy. I know with some of the trees we have in North Carolina that while climbing in crowded canopys that your saw could easily get nocked of that hook style set up.

I actually use the same hook shown on that video. I have one end of my laynard clipped to the back of my saddle and a ring on the other end. The ring slides on and off the hook very smoothly. I have not ever had any problems with this set up. I would recommend to anyone to try and use this set up.

JTinaTree,

I'm using something quite similar to your Caritool setup, but I went with a Black Diamond "ice rack" wire-gate 'biner because they have a wide flat back that keep it from rotating in the web of the belt.

It's not hard to one-hand it out of this set-up, just grab the lanyard below the ring with with fingers, thumb the gate aside and presto!

What nags me about this set-up (and you mentioned climbing in crowded trees) every little snaggy branch I climb past finds the gate and clips itself to my saddle. This is most annoying, wastes time and sometime damages small branches I would have prefered to leave alone.

Also, when on rope, your side "D-ring" can get flopped into the wiregate. Then the moment you want to flip your lanyard around and clip in so you can advance your rope, you've got to stop and fiddle your "D-ring" out of your racking 'biner.

All in all, I find it a really good set-up on a removal, where everything I'm climbing is clear around me, but so bothersome on a prune that I'm looking for a way to mount a little swivling dog leash clip on my saddle.

Ekka's big U-hooks dumps are what I want, I NEED A SOURCE YOU AUSSIE SIX SHOOTIN' BASTID! Cool vids Ekka, cripes I could sell those things here if I knew where to get 'em.

And, Yes the saw could fall off Ekka's big hooks if I went inverted, but by the time I'm in any such a position in a tree, I'm doing hand saw work anyway.

And finally, Mike Maas, if you have a chainsaw lanyard with a ring six to ten inches back from your clip in to the saw, it's the easiest thing in the world to just flick the saw away and grab the ring, then rack it, one handed.

Ekka, sweet Ekka, I need a source on those beefy saw hooks, please and thank you.

RedlineIt

Last edited:
RedlineIt said:
And finally, Mike Maas, if you have a chainsaw lanyard with a ring six to ten inches back from your clip in to the saw, it's the easiest thing in the world to just flick the saw away and grab the ring, then rack it, one handed.
You toss the saw in the air and catch it by the ring?
I feel really stupid here because I'm not getting it...:dizzy:

I feel really stupid here because I'm not getting it...

Yeah. Well, you don't actually toss the saw in the air. You set the brake, take the saw down and away from you to your right, flick it down and away and grab the ring as the lanyard slides through your palm. Rack it.

Takes more time to describe than to do. I do it without even looking, but that's no feat, it's easy peasy!

Even if you don't use a saw lanyard with a ring for racking and you just let it hang, it's a good method to let it down easy.

This is one of those things that is easier to practice in a tree than on the ground, because leaning back a bit on your harness makes it all come together.

Is this any clearer?

RedlineIt

Last edited:
JimL said:
Pretty Hi Tech.
You don't want that give provided on the bungee. I used to use something similar untill I discovered the bungee laynard. Way better. Also why does everyone like to clip in the rear. Honestly think and logically tell how many times a day you actually use the opposite hand to cut.

flick it down and away and grab the ring as the lanyard slides through your palm. Rack it.

exactly........

I dont own a 020,but i use a o ring from the lower strap on a set of hooks.then just a clip from ace hardware.Having the extra ring lets me also carry my fold up hand saw on same ring.Weight difference tells me which one im unhooking,and i always like to be lfaster rehooking the saw than unhooking it.It lets me just basically drop the saw on the ring without even looking.

The climbers i used to work with just took the ring on the 20 loose and put the snapclip on it.No lanyard.Keeps it closer to yer side.And i wear shorts so i use a short hook so it doesn't burn my leg.

Climbah in Mass said:
You don't want that give provided on the bungee. I used to use something similar untill I discovered the bungee laynard. Way better. Also why does everyone like to clip in the rear. Honestly think and logically tell how many times a day you actually use the opposite hand to cut.

Why, I never drop my saw. Sometimes I don't use a lanyard at all. Mine gets hooked on my right side.

Clip in the rear means your saw isn't dragging down one side of your harness, at least with the saw hanging off the centre attachment in the back its directly opposite your bridge and doesn't drag you sideways.
Its amazing the effect an 020 on the side can have on a 115lb arborist!:)

Mike Maas said:
I feel really stupid here because I'm not getting it...:dizzy:

I do do this on the occasion when it is need. If i cut a piece with a snap cut but need two hands to handle it, I will make my cut (with 2 hands), shut off the saw with one hand while bracing the piece I just cut with the other. Then I would lightly toss the saw out and grab the big ring of the bungee lanyard and snap it back to my saddle. At least this way if you miss catching the ring, you still have the other end of the lanyard attached to your saddle.

JimL

I also attach to the right. also don't drop my saw. But as a comfort measure and that reassurance that just incase. It is nice to have.

OTG BOSTON said:
knock on wood!
really!
I climbed for years with no lanyard and never dropped a saw. then this one time...
a lanyard is cheap insurance for your expensive saws!
-Ralph

JTinaTree said:
Here is a pic of my caritool biner by Petzl I installed tonight on my BII. I plan on useing this to try and get my saw a little higher up on my hip.
How does that work? Where did you get it? How far are you from Goldsboro NC? I am a part timer now and need some help you up?
Jared

Magnum783 said:
How does that work? Where did you get it? How far are you from Goldsboro NC? I am a part timer now and need some help you up?
Jared

It works like a regular gate on nonlocking accessory biner, They put a extra notch in it to slide over some webbing on your saddle. I orderded it up from Sherrills $6 each. Used it Saturday and seems to work fine. I am 1.5 hr from Goldsboro I am 35min north of Raleigh..

Latest posts

Back