Sthil MS362-CM 20" with full chisel chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have run my new chainsaw for a full gallon of 100LL gas (several hours). The anti-kickback chain worked well but, when I switched to the RS3 (Rapid Super) chain, it seemed to get bogged down. Does this saw have enough power to pull that chain in big wood? It seemed okay in 10"x13" but, I took two trees that were 18"x18" and 23"x21" that really bogged it down (tall pine trees).

The air filter is clean, the chain is oiled good, what else should I look at? Or, is this just a bad chain/saw combination?

TIA,
Sid

23x21 is a little big for that saw. But 18x18 it should not bog. Shoot my old 036 doesn't have issues with anything under 20 inches. Try a skip chain if you feel you need alittle more power or a muffler mod should help alittle also.

All depends on perspective. What you perceive as boggy might seem fine to others. That being said, there's no reason a good 60cc saw shouldn't be able to handle a 20" bar with full comp chisel. That being said (again!), stock 362 is not going to be a rocket with a 20 buried in hardwood. As Brad said, with more aggressive chain, you have to let the saw do the work rather than muscling it. Lose the aviation fuel. Totally unnecessary in that application, and it's really not good for you

A broken in 362 C-M should have no problem with a 20" bar and RS chain, as long as you don't lean on it like a linebacker.

RS3 is anti kickback, I never use it. It could be contributing to your problem.

Is you chain still sharp??? A dull chain will cause your problems, and you should generally sharpen it every 2 tanks or so.

That saw should go through Pine, with a sharp RS chain, like it is butter.

Something is not right here.

Any reason Brad? I've ran it before with no issues that I've noticed?
The purpose of skip chain is chip clearance. That's not an issue with a 20" bar. Full comp will be faster and smoother. Running skip on an under powered saw is just a bandaid. His saw should pull it no problem.

I have run my new chainsaw for a full gallon of 100LL gas (several hours). The anti-kickback chain worked well but, when I switched to the RS3 (Rapid Super) chain, it seemed to get bogged down. Does this saw have enough power to pull that chain in big wood? It seemed okay in 10"x13" but, I took two trees that were 18"x18" and 23"x21" that really bogged it down (tall pine trees).

The air filter is clean, the chain is oiled good, what else should I look at? Or, is this just a bad chain/saw combination?

TIA,
Sid
Stop leaning on it and let the rpms come back up and the saw do the work.

I have both a ms 362 standard and 362cm at work - both with full comp 20" and they both pull the bar buried in oak or pine well. That saw will pull even a 25" reasonably well. They aren't as fast as 70cc saws in most cases but they definitely should pull the 20 well. A dull chain on them makes a very noticeable difference however.

The purpose of skip chain is chip clearance. That's not an issue with a 20" bar. Full comp will be faster and smoother. Running skip on an under powered saw is just a bandaid. His saw should pull it no problem.

It's very grabby for much of the ground work you would use a 60cc saw for on a 20" bar. It also amplifies kick back considerably on that set up.

Lose the aviation fuel. Totally unnecessary in that application, and it's really not good for you

I would certainly not lose the avgas, if that's the only eth-free fuel available. Ethanol will never touch my 2stroke equipment again. One failure was enough of a motivator for me.

It's not gonna help much, especially if it contains lead.
As long as it doesn't contain ethanol, it helps the cause for anyone who stores it for weeks or months between use. And at a gallon or 2 a year burn rate, lead buildup may be an issue after 15 years.

As long as it doesn't contain ethanol, it helps the cause for anyone who stores it for weeks or months between use. And at a gallon or 2 a year burn rate, lead buildup may be an issue after 15 years.

If he can cut 2 foot pines all day for a couple of gallons a fuel a year, he's doing rather well.

I have run my new chainsaw for a full gallon of 100LL gas (several hours). The anti-kickback chain worked well but, when I switched to the RS3 (Rapid Super) chain, it seemed to get bogged down...
RS3 is listed by Stihl as a green-label, full-chisel anti-kickback chain. Maybe the first chain is RM3 (semi-chisel)? Anyway, my dealer told me that full-chisel requires more grunt than semi-chisel, all things being equal. That may be part of the issue. The other part is that I've read a number of accounts saying that these saws take awhile to break in and develop full power. That was the case with my MS261. So run the semi-chisel and use a light touch for now. Maybe report back after 30+ hours' run time. Not gonna touch the 100LL issue.

RS3 is listed by Stihl as a green-labeled, full-chisel anti-kickback chain. Maybe the first chain is RM3 (semi-chisel)? Anyway, my dealer told me that full-chisel requires more grunt than semi-chisel, all things being equal. That may be part of the issue. The other part is that I've read a number of accounts saying that these saws take awhile to break in and develop full power. That was certainly the case with my MS261. So run the semi-chisel and use a light touch for now. Maybe report back after 30+ hours' run time.

Semi chisel tears the fibers so it requires more power. Full chisel chips fibers away like the name says much like a chisel. Square filed actually cuts the fibers and requires the least amount of power as it's around 15% more efficient.

Latest posts

Back