Sthil MS362-CM 20" with full chisel chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This doesn't fit with the OP's account.

The reason it doesn't fit is because he's milling. Very simply put semi chisel chain tends to not dull as fast due to flatter angles. Because of the flatter angles it's taking less of a bite which is great when milling. Milling chains have a completely different set of rules or standards. But in normal circumstances what I stated above is the truth.

The reason it doesn't fit is because he's milling. Very simply put semi chisel chain tends to not dull as fast due to flatter angles. Because of the flatter angles it's taking less of a bite which is great when milling. Milling chains have a completely different set of rules or standards. But in normal circumstances what I stated above is the truth.
I didn't see where he said he was "milling"?

I also do not completely agree with you on semi chisel, but not goin to argue over it. ;)

All depends on perspective. What you perceive as boggy might seem fine to others. That being said, there's no reason a good 60cc saw shouldn't be able to handle a 20" bar with full comp chisel. That being said (again!), stock 362 is not going to be a rocket with a 20 buried in hardwood. As Brad said, with more aggressive chain, you have to let the saw do the work rather than muscling it. Lose the aviation fuel. Totally unnecessary in that application, and it's really not good for you
Worth repeating, especially the bold part!

What's the concern with 100LL avgas? Does it have enough lead to cause issues? My dealer recommended avgas to me.

Ethanol gas took out my Stihl string trimmer and backpack blower so, I'm not going there again.

I misspoke earlier, the chain is listed as 33RS72 (72 links).

I was leaning into the saw some but, not that hard. I'm guessing my chain may have been a little dull so that may have been the issue. I'm a gallon and half into this saw from new so, according to Stihl I'm past the break-in but, it is still pretty new and tight.

Attachments

• MS362_chain.jpg
    MS362_chain.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 9
Semi chisel tears the fibers so it requires more power. Full chisel chips fibers away like the name says much like a chisel. Square filed actually cuts the fibers and requires the least amount of power as it's around 15% more efficient.
This is the main part I disagree with. It cuts not tares. I've been running semi & chisel for 35 years.

...I was leaning into the saw some but, not that hard. I'm guessing my chain may have been a little dull so that may have been the issue. I'm a gallon and half into this saw from new so, according to Stihl I'm past the break-in but, it is still pretty new and tight.
As you suspect, keep the chain razor sharp and set the rakers on the money. Takes more than a couple of gallons of mix through the saw to get full power; after you've run 10-12 gallons, I think you'll be satisfied.

What's the concern with 100LL avgas? Does it have enough lead to cause issues? My dealer recommended avgas to me.

Ethanol gas took out my Stihl string trimmer and backpack blower so, I'm not going there again.
Unless there's a good breeze, I breathe plenty of saw exhaust, as it is discharged 2 ft from my face. I'd rather there be no tetra ethyl lead in those fumes. It's not good for you. I've also never had anything "taken out" by ethanol. I've prolly had to replace a fuel line or two, and a carb kit, but I'm not sure how EtOH would kill my saw.
All personal preference, but I don't want to breathe a neurotoxin for some perceived benefit to my saw

I have run my new chainsaw for a full gallon of 100LL gas (several hours). The anti-kickback chain worked well but, when I switched to the RS3 (Rapid Super) chain, it seemed to get bogged down. Does this saw have enough power to pull that chain in big wood? It seemed okay in 10"x13" but, I took two trees that were 18"x18" and 23"x21" that really bogged it down (tall pine trees).

The air filter is clean, the chain is oiled good, what else should I look at? Or, is this just a bad chain/saw combination?

TIA,
Sid
From the Stihl Website:

The MS 362 C-M features the same great power, weight and fuel efficiency as the MS 362, but also features our exclusive STIHL M-Tronic™ engine management technology. This innovative microprocessor-controlled engine management system optimizes engine performance and compensates for changes in operating conditions, such as temperature, elevation, fuel quality, and dirty air filters. It makes sure you’re working with optimal cutting power in any cutting condition.

Yeah ... this is why I'll never buy one of these fúcken new saws that have been micro-managed for me by Big Brother.

I'm sure they've "Optimized" it for the pússy anti-kickback chain.

Unless there's a good breeze, I breathe plenty of saw exhaust, as it is discharged 2 ft from my face. I'd rather there be no tetra ethyl lead in those fumes. It's not good for you. I've also never had anything "taken out" by ethanol. I've prolly had to replace a fuel line or two, and a carb kit, but I'm not sure how EtOH would kill my saw.
All personal preference, but I don't want to breathe a neurotoxin for some perceived benefit to my saw

That's cool. I spent a few weekends at the local airports. Got comfortable with LL . It's all good.

100 octane actually burns too slow. My suggestion is to keep the RPMs up. These newer saws aren't the slow torque monsters of yesterday. My guess is that if you pull the saw out of the log you will find it packed in saw chips. You could always send the saw to me and I could do testing on it for 10 years or so.:ices_rofl::D

Don,
What's the issue with 100ll ?
There really isn't many places for the PB to accumulate(valves-guides) and the stability is excellent. Do not get it on your skin for sure but other then a few extra plugs a year, what's the seriousness of its use ?
Pretty much what HuskStihl is saying. Octane too high, in theory makes less power. & the health issues with burning lead...

Back