Sticky cottonwood situation. Need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can't put that little ####er on the ground without asking advice you should put your saw back in your truck and hang your head in shame. Maybe give the custy a quote to mow the lawn or something more within your scope. I hear blowing out gutters is a very lucrative business these days.

220846d1327976721-dscn2003-jpg

220847d1327976732-dscn2004-jpg

220848d1327976741-dscn2005-jpg

220849d1327976752-dscn2006-jpg
220850d1327976762-dscn2007-jpg

If you can't put that little ####er on the ground without asking advice you should put your saw back in your truck and hang your head in shame. Maybe give the custy a quote to mow the lawn or something more within your scope. I hear blowing out gutters is a very lucrative business these days.

Thank you for being so helpful.

Thank you for being so helpful.

bootboy, dont take it to hard, blake is trying to tell you to post this in 101 thread, not here in the commercial tree care&climbing...you will get better replys there, thats were we go to help you youngsters out

cottonwoods

You mentioned the trees are by water, around here any tree work within 100' of wetlands needs at the very least a request for determination of applicability run by the conservation commission, even emergency work. I know this does not help you with your original request for help, but it could go a long way with you're reputation and save both you and the property owner from serious fines. We had a conservation officer in my town pull his gun on a homeowner for pruning his rosa rugosa! I do a lot of conservation filings, contact me if I can help. Jim

You mentioned the trees are by water, around here any tree work within 100' of wetlands needs at the very least a request for determination of applicability run by the conservation commission, even emergency work. I know this does not help you with your original request for help, but it could go a long way with you're reputation and save both you and the property owner from serious fines. We had a conservation officer in my town pull his gun on a homeowner for pruning his rosa rugosa! I do a lot of conservation filings, contact me if I can help. Jim

Err.... Ummm...

I can almost guarantee you that Utah is not a communist country like Taxachussettes... :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks pretty straight forward to me. I see a couple ways of doing it but if you have been loosing sleep over it you might be best to call a pro. If it were me I might try tying the butts off to the bigger tree by the stumps and make a cut a few feet off the ground to keep the butt from going back into the ground. Now the tree might want to kick back and this is where you might want to have some experince. Once its cut free you might be able to tie a rope to the butt and pull it out with somthing. If that dont work you can always climb it and piece it out.

haha today we were floppin trees into the river and across the river (more like a creek at that spot) and winching them through the river bed and guess what... the county forestry guys were telling us to do it!!! guess it makes a difference when there the ones paying the bill

Con. Comm.

I hope my remarks about Con. comm. do not apply to you. I'm envious. Be safe and good luck.

Make no mistake, that tree is under tension and is a man killer. What I would do is tie it off and hang it out of the tree it's hung up in. Make undercuts from the bottom and lower it when it rolls out.

Sounds like a tricky situation. I think I would charge an extra grand on top of the 1500. That way if it takes an extra day because you are being extra careful with the leaner you don't lose money on your crew and your workers comp. But if you get it done in one day you get a nice chunk of change.

leaner cottonwood

The county call us for any tall trees the bucket truck wont reach. Cottonwood had been washed out along creek bank. Leaning into another oak and cottowood. Yes, used two different ty in points. Always stay out of movement direct direction of main trunk. Be on the side when possible. Tie off main trunk is a option. Two or three trunk anchors if neccessary. Factor this in for pricing your job. Maybe small cuts or one log lower down in a unit. Do what your comfortable with. Remember extreme weight will stretch your rope. Use a extra rope or two. Good Luck!

Really.... damn I guessI have been duped. There is a cottonwood tree here in CO that is 105ft tall and is considered a champion tree..... it's supposed to be the tallest. Maybe it is just for a "plains cottonwood"

Yeah man, they get way bigger than that. The first time I meet JPS in person, he came to look at a MONSTER, he even shook his head and it takes alot to do that. Guessing it was 160-170, 8 ft dia. DEAD! The guy, a friend, didn't have that kind of money. JPS suggested between 8 to 10g's. No wires, open parking lot, large house under one side. Well it worked out for my friend as he rented to a chick who had a meth head brother, he tried cooking meth and caught the house on fire, which , in turn caught the tree on fire. This went down while I was playin Marine. Guess it looked like something out of a movie, the whole tree was on fire. Fire Dept established a perimeter and watched, no one was willing to get near the house for fear the tree would fail. They said the top part burnt pretty quick, the trunk, not so much. Guess they used a excavator to push what was left over on to the burnt pile of rubbish that used to be the house. God I wish I could have seen it! Short story, Cottonwoods can get to epic sizes in the right location

To the OP, that doesn't look to difficult, but if you cant see it, get some one in, those deals can be real easy if done right, real, REAL, bad if done wrong. As others said, pick up some knowledge in the process

Last edited:
pics

Just saw your pics. Tall beanpole. Multiple ty in points above. Drop the top off. Trunk options? Ty top off at top contact for lowering. Only do this if saving vegatation below fall zone. If trunk able to fall through do it. The cut to release tension at top is toughest. You can ty off this tension piece, probable 2-4ft piece. Keep wood from moving into your work space. Under extreme preasure can snap off at only half cut thru and fly multiple feet. Top V cut and then undercut. No bar pinch. My crew worked multiple leaning trees in Arkansas after ice storm. Each tree has different danger issues. I was expecting a bigger tree diameter. One day down and out. Or half day drop and leave. You have to haul or leave it?

Impossible to tell trunk diameter in pics. I bet most think the Pines I posted pics of earlier in the thread were pecker poles as well, when in reality both Pines were over 3' DBH.

Latest posts

Back