Sticky cottonwood situation. Need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Few of the highlights:)

P.s. I never realized how much I move the saw around in the cut and now watching this it's driving me nuts. Hold still!

Last edited:
lol...

... you got it done and you are not hurt... that tree was good experience for you... you got testicular fortitude for even going up there... good job & thanks for sharing....

Nice videos Thanks for taking time to upload them, glad you got it down safe, sorry about your tote, was probably theraputic after all, once you got centered, be carful on the rest of them I hate cotton woods, they break when you look at them wrong, be carful of those cancer stems, and of rigging to much from those high angled stems, great job glad you shared it, I liked the bike trail and river raft video's too. great resolution those close ups of the canker wood reafirm my dislike of cotton wood's. we had the top snap out on a couple of crane picks and Brandon had to swing around to keep from getting pinched on one on the fryingpan river swamp monsters.
Paul

Thanks for your remarks. This is definitely one of the biggest and most methodical of the trees I've done. I just tried to take my time, and small bites. Better to have to make a few extra cuts and small pieces than bite off too much and risk injury. Certainly good lessons learned on this one.

Several of these trees will be coming out all together plus a few busted top pines. This yard will be a good cash cow for me this summer. The red house is my grandparents neighbor's and my gparents house is the one closer to the mountains. Neither one is in a huge hurry to get these done so I'll be able to get them done at my convenience over the summer. When work elsewhere slows down I can put in some days here. I just need some cheap bodies to haul rounds to my trailer:).

I'm going to need a MUCH bigger saw for the main trunks though. The biggest of the condemned trees (the one I'm climbing) is over 40" at it's base Woof. I'll consider it an investment. I'm hoping to net $3,000 by the end of it.

In Colorado they say you can go down a montain to slow a lot of times but you can only go down to fast once, yea i was hoping to get this big crane removal to justify a ms44 or ms46 but wasn't in the stars, couldnt believe the prices now the ms 440 was 963 + tax and had 25" bar, you may try subing out the base cuts, or renting the big saw, unless the net is with a payed off big saw,
Paul

Good job. When you gunna cut the rest down? Watch the binding forces that happen when 2 trees are cought up. In the 1st video your foot on top made me flinch when you cut it. I was hoping the branch didn't pop up. B4 I give you two :msp_thumbup: how long have you been climbing?

The rest of the trees that are slated for removal will come down periodically over the summer. I wasn't worried about stepping on that trunk because it was the only point of contact between the two trees, the whole weight of the trunk from the ground up was straight down into that crotch. I see what you mean though about it coming up which is why you see me hesitate for just a moment in my cut, I wanted to just make absolutely sure it wasn't going to surprise me.

I've been climbing seriously since last fall. I've been going up trees with hand saws since I was about 8 to remove small dead branches from the ash, maple and sycamore trees in my parents yard, just pruning type stuff. I've done lots of removals of small oak and aspen for a long time, but once again, easy stuff that can just drop. I've been reading and watching and learning and gearing up over the last several months and hope to make a little money by word-of-mouth jobs this summer. I will sub for my friend's yard care business so I just work under his business license.

I come from a strong rock climbing background so being at height on the end of a rope is no issue. I've obviously had to get used to new gear and techniques but I feel that many of the same physics principles apply. When lead climbing you have to constantly be analyzing the physics of a potential fall on your gear and adjust your placements as necessary. I feel that though they are worlds apart in their application, the basic skills of analysis and understanding are the same. My mind is just sort of used to thinking this way.

I'm contemplating getting my ISA cert through an apprenticeship with a local power company but it's full time and I can't afford to lose my benefits at my current job. I also have applications in to several schools for nursing so I'll have to see how that plays out.

I love tree work and would love to be able to do it on a convenience basis, there's just so much of my life I have to get sorted out.

In Colorado they say you can go down a montain to slow a lot of times but you can only go down to fast once, yea i was hoping to get this big crane removal to justify a ms44 or ms46 but wasn't in the stars, couldnt believe the prices now the ms 440 was 963 + tax and had 25" bar, you may try subing out the base cuts, or renting the big saw, unless the net is with a payed off big saw,
Paul

I was quoted $950 otd for a ms460 28" by a local shop. That's hard to stomach. I'd like to find a used or fixer-upper 660 that I can get going for less than $500. I'm a handy wrench and a fast learner so I'd love one as a project saw to rebuild.

Wow i didnt think any stihl dealers dealed, mabe the guy in SA is high 950 out the door for the bigger saw, isnt as bad, there are some saws on the classifieds on here seems like I saw a almost new 440 for 800 shipped, I am going to work for Aspen tree in 3 weeks so would just sit for 7 months any way think I am going to sell a lot off and start again this fall,
Paul

Yea beautiful country are you close to Colorado I will be working In Aspen, and Carbondale it is great country

Last edited:
Good job for only climbing since last fall. Linecrew, nursing schoo:frown:l, oh you short timer. Rock climbing stuff is exhausting to use in a tree. Forget that srt junk. What is that i see a Giri? Oh no. If your going to cut down that whole tree why didn't you spike it? Nursing school. You should of put this thread in the homeowner forum.

Latest posts

Back