Sticky cottonwood situation. Need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, and yes, I use a grigri. I don't use rock climbing gear other than that, which I don't even use when rock climbing, I was just saying that judgment and an eye for the dynamics are a useful analogues. Obviously very different gear and techniques. I spent alot of my time in that tree drt. Some of my footage you can't see my line and I'm likely drt. It got obnoxious though since I didn't have a friction saver around that massive branch. I didn't spike it because I don't have any. It's my next purchase for sure.

Last edited:
Good job for only climbing since last fall. Linecrew, nursing schoo:frown:l, oh you short timer. Rock climbing stuff is exhausting to use in a tree. Forget that srt junk. What is that i see a Giri? Oh no. If your going to cut down that whole tree why didn't you spike it? Nursing school. You should of put this thread in the homeowner forum.

Wow! You are mean! :msp_ohmy:, I have been biting my tongue for month's! :msp_w00t: I am now a Lurker and some times chime in. BTW, you should not TUI!
Just saying.
Jeff :msp_tongue:

Wow i didnt think any stihl dealers dealed, mabe the guy in SA is high 950 out the door for the bigger saw, isnt as bad, there are some saws on the classifieds on here seems like I saw a almost new 440 for 800 shipped, I am going to work for Aspen tree in 3 weeks so would just sit for 7 months any way think I am going to sell a lot off and start again this fall,
Paul

Yea beautiful country are you close to Colorado I will be working In Aspen, and Carbondale it is great country

My stihl dealer Cuts the price down a good bit for us. I've never paid what was on the sticker.

I was quoted $950 otd for a ms460 28" by a local shop. That's hard to stomach. I'd like to find a used or fixer-upper 660 that I can get going for less than $500. I'm a handy wrench and a fast learner so I'd love one as a project saw to rebuild.

Go on eBay I've bought 5-6 off eBay now and their all solid runners. I usually buy the ones that don't run. Because their very simple machines. Stumpy from the chainsaw end of the forums gets them once I do then he ports them and does the works. The 372xp he is doing for me now I'll still be at half the price of a new one and i picked up the big bore kit for it. Basically a new saw once you get it back.

He did a ms362 for me that pulled a 32" bar the same as a 460 when done. its about 1 second faster than my 441 now.

Mattfr12 you buy a lot more than me, I bought my 34 almost 20yrs back my 192 is 6years+ my 200 was 499 last fall my 028 is 20+ years old and the power prunner is a 2001 I think, and my blower is an antique too, I think you are a big out fit like Marquis, so he wants to keep your volume of buisness running through his shop.
Bootboy, I would look for the spikes with the longest gaff I wouldnt worry about the aluminum or tiatanium or the carbon fiber I tried all those from guys up at Aspen Geckos stuck out like a chicken claw and couldnt get the velcro tight on the calf, I use bucking ham with a regular t pad , Brandon uses the same but with the cast aluminum pads I like those and may up grade to those to me the lighter fansy ones didn't justify the price, but did borrow the alluminum climb rights and they were ok and about the same cost as the bucking hams,
Jeff what is TUI!
Paul

Last edited:
Yer a natural Boots. That's how its done. I thought you said there were no obstacles to avoid but man if you tried to dislodge that one from the ground it would have ended up on someone's deck.

What kind of saddle were you using, rock? Its Ok, it'll work. Looks like the knot you had the stainless block on was crappy. And Hell, you wanna gripe about how obnoxious it is without a friction saver? Dam, you sound like a princess allready!:msp_tongue:

If the tree was upright it would have been over a deck. But the way it had blown over was away from the deck. There was a small bridge but it was easy to avoid. I climb in a petzl Navaho. I wanted the sequoia but I got my navaho on pro price through my search and rescue group. My block was attached with a 5/8" loopie sling. In the vids I hadn't seated the sling. Right after the vid I cinched it all down and it looked sharp;) I use a half inch double braid line for my rigging. I'd like a 5/8" but that's down the road. I've looked at the climbrights and my local guy will match wesspurs price otd.

When I was in Aspen last fall didnt bring my spurs so every crew I got put on had different spurs, so I got to try them all the gm had the climb rights I liked the webing cast in the bottom of the footholds to give traction if you step out on a limb, the Geckos were the Crane operators and had European gaffs they were good on the thick bark of cotton woods but took some getting used to as far as the angles they hurt my ankles at the end of the day, I wish the cast aluminum pads fit the climb rights I think I will just put the CAds on my bucking hams, Do a search on here for favorite climing spurs or gaffs, seems like before I joined read a long thread they called them CADDYS,
Paul

Mattfr12 you buy a lot more than me, I bought my 34 almost 20yrs back my 192 is 6years+ my 200 was 499 last fall my 028 is 20+ years old and the power prunner is a 2001 I think, and my blower is an antique too, I think you are a big out fit like Marquis, so he wants to keep your volume of buisness running through his shop.
Bootboy, I would look for the spikes with the longest gaff I wouldnt worry about the aluminum or tiatanium or the carbon fiber I tried all those from guys up at Aspen Geckos stuck out like a chicken claw and couldnt get the velcro tight on the calf, I use bucking ham with a regular t pad , Brandon uses the same but with the cast aluminum pads I like those and may up grade to those to me the lighter fansy ones didn't justify the price, but did borrow the alluminum climb rights and they were ok and about the same cost as the bucking hams,
Jeff what is TUI!
Paul

Nah just become friends with one. I just do all my business through them. Nuts, bolts, seeds, anything they sell. Known them for ten years. They even hang our brochures by the saws. So when a guy gets a bright idea he can put the saw back on the shelf and pull out his cell phone.

If the tree was upright it would have been over a deck. But the way it had blown over was away from the deck. There was a small bridge but it was easy to avoid. I climb in a petzl Navaho. I wanted the sequoia but I got my navaho on pro price through my search and rescue group. My block was attached with a 5/8" loopie sling. In the vids I hadn't seated the sling. Right after the vid I cinched it all down and it looked sharp;) I use a half inch double braid line for my rigging. I'd like a 5/8" but that's down the road. I've looked at the climbrights and my local guy will match wesspurs price otd.

That's what I meant: if you just tried to cut from the bottom it would have stood back up and went for a deck or something.

I wouldn't bother with the 5/8 rope, just go for 3/4.

That's what I meant: if you just tried to cut from the bottom it would have stood back up and went for a deck or something.

I agree with the dan on this one. There will be nothing you cannot do with the 3/4. You can hang whole trees like the one in your vid with no worries with that rope. I have 2 3/4" bull lines and a 200' 5/8. I do about 95% of my work with the 5/8 now but love having my 3/4 bull lines for the really big stuff and yes, sometimes I need two. Sometimes I need all three.

Spikes are a personal matter. Every climber's physic is different and everyone will have their favorite that is most comfortable to them. I bet 90% of the climbers out there prefer the ones that were issued to them when they went to work for whatever service hired them in the beginning. I climbed on offset Klien's for the longest, got used to them and though they were comfortable in the beginning. I've got a set of Buckingham tree gaffs that I abhor. I only use them when I have to on thick furrow barked trees. My favorites are my aluminum Bashlins with the Velcro wraps and pole gaffs. I can climb in them all day without really even noticing them. No need to look for any others.

I had already cut it off the stump. There was no way it was going to stand up. I cut 20' off the bottom 2' at a time. Even if I had cut the bottom off till it was vertical, by the time it would want to go back the other direction, it would not have been tall enough to reach the deck.

I live in Utah and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. We don't exactly have the worlds biggest trees here. Our biggest deciduous trees are 100' cottonwoods and the occasional 100' sycamore. I just don't see myself needing the 3/4 line. Plus they are considerably more spendy than 5/8 or even 9/16. My 1/2" cwc serves me very well. I just want something more substantial.

I'm going to look into the climbrights with the climbright branded metal pads. $275 and I hear good things. I'm always one to fiddle with things (within reason) to make it work well for me I have a roll of rubber cork that I can use to customize padding to fit my legs. Cheers.

As a side note, how much does one charge for a job like this? Alone, standing upright, the tree would be at least $1500. How much does the hazardous removal change things?
ht1.jpg
jh.jpg
bh.jpg

Try a different forum

I had already cut it off the stump. There was no way it was going to stand up. I cut 20' off the bottom 2' at a time. Even if I had cut the bottom off till it was vertical, by the time it would want to go back the other direction, it would not have been tall enough to reach the deck.

I live in Utah and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. We don't exactly have the worlds biggest trees here. Our biggest deciduous trees are 100' cottonwoods and the occasional 100' sycamore. I just don't see myself needing the 3/4 line. Plus they are considerably more spendy than 5/8 or even 9/16. My 1/2" cwc serves me very well. I just want something more substantial.

I'm going to look into the climbrights with the climbright branded metal pads. $275 and I hear good things. I'm always one to fiddle with things (within reason) to make it work well for me I have a roll of rubber cork that I can use to customize padding to fit my legs. Cheers.

a tree does not need to be tall to need a 3/4" bull rope. its all about the size of the wood... :wink: and when your blocking down a spar its nice being able to take BIG chunks off instead of whittling

and whats a friction saver???? I think I might have seen one once in one of the trucks way in the back of the tool box right under the fall arrest harness for the bucket:monkey:

Wow! You are mean! :msp_ohmy:, I have been biting my tongue for month's! :msp_w00t: I am now a Lurker and some times chime in. BTW, you should not TUI!
Just saying.
Jeff :msp_tongue:

Thanks for just using the word "mean" lots more u could of said. Yeah I was a little saucey. But I'm a lifer and in this business theirs no room for shortimers. Especially ones that may be going to nursing school:D. I think this thread has been milked. The tree was miner. Get back to us when you blast that big SOB. I do think srt is retarded.

Man I hope I never have to remove anything like those cottonwoods , I think I would just the HO the deck is closed forever and never look out the window on that side of the house and give me 200.00 for the advice cash we don't take checks :hmm3grin2orange:

Back