Stihl 009L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psc1947

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special about the Stihl 009L? Saw one but had never heard of it before.

Just cruising sales. Cancer and a broken back back-to-back trying to get moving again.
Four weed eaters and five chainsaws running this week (almost all Stihls).

I've got a top handle 009 (38mm P/C), 14" 3/8 picco B/C. Decent saw with good power for what it is (good torque reed valve engine), I use it only for pruning, or cutting small firewood on ice fishing trips.

Getting hard to find parts. I've got a NOS oil pump spare for it. A guy in Germany, member here, has oil pump parts.

I've got a top handle 009 (38mm P/C), 14" 3/8 picco B/C. Decent saw with good power for what it is (good torque reed valve engine), I use it only for pruning, or cutting small firewood on ice fishing trips.

Getting hard to find parts. I've got a NOS oil pump spare for it. A guy in Germany, member here, has oil pump parts.
I managed to get my 009 working after many years, replacing the oil pump diaphragm with parts from the guy in Germany. (Weiss). Great service and the only good souls that still produce these bits.

Carburetors, (especially the first couple years) fuel tank vent and oil pump were biggest culprits. Make sure there is a fast idle. If not, you will need to adjust the throttle rod length (bend). The long sparkplug wire is noted for leakage. Started making them in 1981.

Carburetors, (especially the first couple years) fuel tank vent and oil pump were biggest culprits. Make sure there is a fast idle. If not, you will need to adjust the throttle rod length (bend). The long sparkplug wire is noted for leakage. Started making them in 1981.
Yes, the early all orange ones can be an issue. the later off white were a lot better

Latest posts

Back