stihl 011 avt horsepower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid a dollar for an antique scroll saw with some junk around it at an online estate auction. When I went to pick it up, a 5 gallon bucket under it contained parts of a saw! It sat in the shop a while but I did a little digging today and found it to be pieces of an 011 avt. I don’t have a small saw so I was wondering if it’d be practical to “build” it? I’ll have to investigate further tomorrow, but might be missing the cylinder at least…

I paid a dollar for an antique scroll saw with some junk around it at an online estate auction. When I went to pick it up, a 5 gallon bucket under it contained parts of a saw! It sat in the shop a while but I did a little digging today and found it to be pieces of an 011 avt. I don’t have a small saw so I was wondering if it’d be practical to “build” it? I’ll have to investigate further tomorrow, but might be missing the cylinder at least…
Pretty sure I have one.

Keep this thread going!

As a homeowner, I really like my 011AVT. It's currently my only running saw... It's a nice jack-of-all-trades saw that has put off the need to rebuild a couple others. The top handle sits too far back for extended one handed pruning use, but I can hold it out for a couple limbs in a row. And I've dropped a couple 18-20" oaks with a 16" bar. I like the sound of a reed engine as well. That said, I picked it up for $130, and I've seen a couple for ~$100 in the last couple years. If you have all the parts then build it, but I would caution against the ebay monster nickel and diming you to something close to the purchase price for a known running saw.

Keep this thread going!

As a homeowner, I really like my 011AVT. It's currently my only running saw... It's a nice jack-of-all-trades saw that has put off the need to rebuild a couple others. The top handle sits too far back for extended one handed pruning use, but I can hold it out for a couple limbs in a row. And I've dropped a couple 18-20" oaks with a 16" bar. I like the sound of a reed engine as well. That said, I picked it up for $130, and I've seen a couple for ~$100 in the last couple years. If you have all the parts then build it, but I would caution against the ebay monster nickel and diming you to something close to the purchase price for a known running saw.
Awesome, thanks. I did end up finding the cylinder, if I get time, I will try to build it, but I’m sure it’s in pieces for a reason. I have a 271, 500i, and 880 so it’d really only be beneficial if it can be used one handed, how does it work in that regard?

Awesome, thanks. I did end up finding the cylinder, if I get time, I will try to build it, but I’m sure it’s in pieces for a reason. I have a 271, 500i, and 880 so it’d really only be beneficial if it can be used one handed, how does it work in that regard?
The balance is off and it's a bit too heavy based on handle placement. Look at the attached pic of the 011 AVT next to a MS194T. The 194 has the handle right above the motor, so the mass is about balanced under the handle. The 011 handle is on top, but sits further back so all the weight still pulls down. It's manageable for short stints, but I wouldn't rely on it for a lot of 1 handed work. That said, the 011 is a 41cc saw with some grunt, compared to the 194 which is a 32cc, so it's not a straight apples-to-apples comparison.

Attachments

• Tree Saws.png
    Tree Saws.png
    622.2 KB · Views: 2
A 20 year old thread? Awesome.....

I've been playing around with this series of saws lately. I've bought several from eBay just for fun to get them running. I ran into the issue with the oiler diaphram and it wasn't bad rebuilding it. For diaphram material, I found this from a tecumseh carb that works great.

.Ebay Link-Click Here

For a hole punch, I used a short piece 3/16 steel brake line, with the ID sharpened.

If I can get one of my machinist buddies to turn some aluminum rivets, rather than disassembling and reusing the old rivet, life would be easy.

A neighbor gave me an 009 he picked up at a garage sale and I got a couple 011s from a friend. That 009 had an air leak. The reed block under the carb was warped so I sanded it flat. Idle got better but still had a leak. I pressure tested it and had air leaking at the base of the carb. I replaced gaskets and no joy. One day is dawned on me it could be the rivets. I put Dirko over them and the leak was gone. It idles well and cuts pretty good for what it is. I prefer my 020 but the 009 is fun to use too.

I thought I would post this in case someone else has a leak they can't find. Check the rivets.

I sold one of the 011s and haven't looked at the other. Maybe I'll pick up that project this summer.

Hope this helps

The 011 that I owned had 2.1 horsepower. It was a good saw , but was too small when I started burning a lot of wood , so my 034 was in order and I hardly used it after . My dad used it for years.

Latest posts

Back