Stihl 024 worth rebuilding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have little mechanical know how however I would like to learn more. my dad gave me the 024 because it just stopped running last fall.. I had a shade try small engine guy look at and he said it was the carb and not worth fixing a and gave the saw back in parts without the carb. I will try and put some photos up to see if you can help identify. In my looking for info I see there are 2 different models? A 024 and a 024s?
Anyways can a novice put an 026 top end on and make a wicked little saw?
I do not really want to sell it because I have bad luck selling things.

ive only rebuilt one 024 and alot of things are the same but i love the 026s good power for the size

why didnt he give you the carb back
Well I think I will leave all that story out but I would take it having a bad carb with a salt block. Never new a carb to go out instantly.
So I guess it will be a bigger project than just a carb.

The 024super and the 026 share the same stroke at 32mm. The non super 024 stroke is 30mm. So if you have the super model you can use an 026 p/c kit. But hopefully your piston and cylinder aren't the problem. Get a Walbro wt 194 to replace your missing carb and get it running. Like these guys said, they're good little saws.

The 026 cyl will not fit unless you shave off some of the fins. pull the muffler and make sure it is not scored. then get a WT 194 carb and have at it. I have 2 and they are both excellent saws. slightly less power than the 026 but a little lighter . any q's just ask

Back in March I rebuilt an 026 and bought a WT-194 for it. You will not be disappointed. Got mine from an eBay seller that was selling a batch of Japanese-made ones, apparently he still has some for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Wal...100141?hash=item3f3f9b93ad:g:xfoAAOSwNSxVHrMi

024/026 saws are really great to have around. One of my favorite machines of any type, very durable, well-designed, and easy to use.

On a side note, seems all the Chicom knockoff carburetors are really putting a dent in prices for OEM units.

Back in March I rebuilt an 026 and bought a WT-194 for it. You will not be disappointed. Got mine from an eBay seller that was selling a batch of Japanese-made ones, apparently he still has some for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Wal...100141?hash=item3f3f9b93ad:g:xfoAAOSwNSxVHrMi

024/026 saws are really great to have around. One of my favorite machines of any type, very durable, well-designed, and easy to use.

On a side note, seems all the Chicom knockoff carburetors are really putting a dent in prices for OEM units.

Or this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331727426110?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Ok quick update it is a 024 AV Super electronic quickstart or at least that is what the tag says.
So I pulled the muffler and it looks scored to me and looking through the intake it looks scored but no where as bad as the exhaust.
It does have a spark.o_O
So......
Looks like I need a carb, a air filter , (still not returned from small engine guy)
A piston and possibly cylinder was thinking if I have to buy a piston and stuff why not go to an 026 p&c
I would also probably replace all the fuel lines and everything thing while I have it tore appart.
Is it even worth the cost?
It is a double stud bar

Before you pull the cylinder check the stroke as someone may have put a super cover on a non super saw. Pull the cylinder and see if it will clean up. If it won't than definitely go with an 026 p/c. It's also a good idea to do a vacuum test before you pull it all apart to check the crank seals etc as you want to find out what caused the scoring in the first place.
Is it worth it?.... Chainsaw parts are expensive. Even a new meteor p/c kit, a carb and air filter can run you over $200.But the 024 is a very basic and solid saw and a great saw to learn on and it's satisfying to run a saw that you know through and through. Especially since it's a saw your dad gave you, I'd say it's worth it.

when i work on one i save the junk parts and show them what was wrong with them and it helps show them and educate

Thank you for the help I will search for that thread on how to do a vacuum test. Maybe I can try and play this weekend

I believe you said you are also missing the air filter. The 024 air filter costs an arm and a leg. If you upgrade to the o26 with new plastic, carb, etc., you can then use the $6 air filters that are easy to find. The 024 air filters are getting scarce as hen's teeth. In order to fit in a new 026 aftermarket carb, I had to do some shaping and filing on the case, but it can be done. That's what I did, and the saw is running fine today. But, if you buy the Walbro WT-194, no fiddle faddle is required with the case.

Latest posts

Back