Stihl 024 worth rebuilding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I took some photos. Upsets me that the guy I took it to said that it is just the carb.
Is this a scored piston?
20151220_133139.jpg
From the intake side ^ it is hard to see but nowhere like the exhaust.

20151220_133220.jpg

20151220_133253.jpg

I have a couple more photos if you want to see. I have a feeling this is not a fancy vertical porting job

Attachments

• 20151220_133332.jpg
    20151220_133332.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
I am thinking about seeing how much the local chainsaw shop will charge to do a vacuum test sense I do not have a pump or gage set up.

where are you at corey maybe one of the guys on here can do it for you

I am thinking about seeing how much the local chainsaw shop will charge to do a vacuum test sense I do not have a pump or gage set up.

They'd most likely charge you more than a vacuum gauge will cost. All you really need other than a gauge is soapy water and about 4 square inches of inner tube- it only has to be big enough to go between the outside diameters of the mounting screws.

they have those cheap plastic vac pumps for bleeding brakes at all auto parts stores and harbor freight

Make a list of all the parts you need before you start buying anything. I bought a Stihl 250 for $50 that just looked like a couple of things wrong. Before I was done I had $137.50 in parts in it as well as the $50 I paid for it. The saw is used, looks it and I have $187.50 plus my time in it.
What I'm getting at is you can buy aftermarket P & C, carb, etc, for FAR, FAR less than Stihl parts. If you add up the needed parts and discover the Stihl parts will cost more than the saw is worth, you might decide to try rebuilding it with aftermarket parts. Lots of guys have done that, some have even built entire Stihl clones with aftermarket parts for much, much less than a Stihl saw.

Back