Stihl 026 conversion to 3/8 standard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriminal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an 026 that currently has a .325 sprocket on it and I'm looking to convert the saw to 3/8 standard. I found a previous thread on here where guys discussed it, but the conversation seemed to tilt towards using 3/8 lp. I've got an abundance of 3/8 standard chains and new bars that aren't being used and am looking to convert just to standardize all my saws to 3/8. Does anybody know where I can find the right sprocket? Thanks!

Attachments

• 166602507703287482566561343908.jpg
    166602507703287482566561343908.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Hey guys, I've got an 026 that currently has a .325 sprocket on it and I'm looking to convert the saw to 3/8 standard. I found a previous thread on here where guys discussed it, but the conversation seemed to tilt towards using 3/8 lp. I've got an abundance of 3/8 standard chains and new bars that aren't being used and am looking to convert just to standardize all my saws to 3/8. Does anybody know where I can find the right sprocket? Thanks!
The 3/8 is the drive teeth, the 3/8LP is about the cut teeth size and width.
So if you have a 3/8 sprocket it does not matter if you use a standard 3/8 or a 3/8LP chain, both will fit your sprocket.

The 3/8 is the drive teeth, the 3/8LP is about the cut teeth size and width.
So if you have a 3/8 sprocket it does not matter if you use a standard 3/8 or a 3/8LP chain, both will fit your sprocket.

I was thinking that a 3/8lp or picco drive tangs were shaped little different than the standard 3/8 pitch???

They (drive tangs standard and picco or LP appear to be slightly different on my Homies????????????????????????(so I do not run a picco or LP on a standard 3/8 bar???????????????

Clue me in??????????????

Check oregon’s part finder on their site.

Also, the 028 is a sub 50cc saw. I UNDERSTAND the desire to unify stocked parts, but there’s a reason .325 is a thing for smaller saws. It’s less grabby during limbing and small cuts and it takes less hp to pull because of the narrower kerf.

I was thinking that a 3/8lp or picco drive tangs were shaped little different than the standard 3/8 pitch???

They (drive tangs standard and picco or LP appear to be slightly different on my Homies????????????????????????(so I do not run a picco or LP on a standard 3/8 bar???????????????

Clue me in??????????????
I just did a double check and you are right and I am wrong, they are different. The 3/8 chain I use on my 70+cc saws does not fit perfectly on my 42cc MS241cm that have a 3/8LP sprocket.
So by that we can with confidence say that using a 3/8 standard chain on a 026 is not only "not beneficial" - it is also unobtainable.

Check oregon’s part finder on their site.

Also, the 028 is a sub 50cc saw. I UNDERSTAND the desire to unify stocked parts, but there’s a reason .325 is a thing for smaller saws. It’s less grabby during limbing and small cuts and it takes less hp to pull because of the narrower kerf.
I like .325 on 45-50cc saws as well. Having said that I run 3/8 chain on my 026 Pro it pulls quite well in soft wood. I run bigger saws when cutting hard wood.

I like .325 on 45-50cc saws as well. Having said that I run 3/8 chain on my 026 Pro it pulls quite well in soft wood. I run bigger saws when cutting hard wood.
So you actually have a 3/8 standard sprocket on your 026? I didn't think they would even consider making that for a 50cc saw. When considering you have both .325 and 3/8LP as a much more suitable and effective alternative. Why would they even consider doing that? Those standard 3/8 teeth are absolutely "huge"!

So you actually have a 3/8 standard sprocket on your 026? I didn't think they would even consider making that for a 50cc saw. When considering you have both .325 and 3/8LP as a much more suitable and effective alternative. Why would they even consider doing that? Those standard 3/8 teeth are absolutely "huge"!
Yep. 3/8 .050 gauge, 20” bar. I run Stihl RS chain on it.

3/8 sprockets are availeable, 3/8 and 3/8 lo-pro or picco as stihl calls it are different.
It is possible to run lo-pro on a regular 3/8 sprocket but it ain't right, regular 3/8 will not work on a lo-pro sprocket.
The only 50cc saws I used 3/8 chain on were ported ones, always went back to .325.

Pioneer put .404 on saws as small as 58cc

I have 2 026's, I might port one of them sometime, maybe with an aftermarket cylinder and piston kit (would be the first time, don't know too much about it, and probably won't). Without porting I wouldn't even consider putting on something else than a .325 chain. Just my opinion.
Also, both have the (standard, I think?) 16 inch bar on them, I have occasionally cut trees with them that were way bigger in diameter, even double. But it's obviously heavy on those saws... A longer bar might have been useful here and there, longer felling teeth too, but I'd rather look for a bit 'bigger' saw then, and use the 026's for the work they simply are (in my opinion) awesome for. Still a pretty wide 'band' when it comes to usefulness.

Hey guys, I've got an 026 that currently has a .325 sprocket on it and I'm looking to convert the saw to 3/8 standard. I found a previous thread on here where guys discussed it, but the conversation seemed to tilt towards using 3/8 lp.
There are other threads on here that tell what larger saws came with the Stihl mini spline and ran full size 3/8 as delivered. Perhaps 036 of certain years? I am assuming the 026 uses the mini spline like the 261. A small spline is a generic size not used by Stihl, aftermarket drums for this spline are available and then you won't have to deal with a Stihl dealer telling you they won't sell you what you want.

Now that’s a nice graphic. I’ve been curious about how universal those rims are. So husky and stihl, for example, are going to take the same SD 7 rim for the same chain size?
As long as both saws clutches have sd7 size splines. There is an image somewhere showing the difference with a nickel and quarter, I think it is. Those are close to the spline hole sizes.

Clue me
3/8 sprockets are availeable, 3/8 and 3/8 lo-pro or picco as stihl calls it are different.
It is possible to run lo-pro on a regular 3/8 sprocket but it ain't right, regular 3/8 will not work on a lo-pro sprocket.
The only 50cc saws I used 3/8 chain on were ported ones, always went back to .325.
Need a Oregon #18720 small 7 rim sprocket to convert it 3/8
I appreciate the help jellyroll, especially with the exact part numbers.

Back