Stihl 026 conversion to 3/8 standard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are other threads on here that tell what larger saws came with the Stihl mini spline and ran full size 3/8 as delivered. Perhaps 036 of certain years? I am assuming the 026 uses the mini spline like the 261. A small spline is a generic size not used by Stihl, aftermarket drums for this spline are available and then you won't have to deal with a Stihl dealer telling you they won't sell you what you want

There are other threads on here that tell what larger saws came with the Stihl mini spline and ran full size 3/8 as delivered. Perhaps 036 of certain years? I am assuming the 026 uses the mini spline like the 261. A small spline is a generic size not used by Stihl, aftermarket drums for this spline are available and then you won't have to deal with a Stihl dealer telling you they won't sell you what you want.
Exactly, I've been down that road. I'd rather try and figure it out on a forum of people who actually know what they're talking about instead of guys that try to act the part, but have no idea what you're talking about. It seems all dealers around here that's all I've encountered.

I run 3/8 standard on all my 026 saws. If you look you will see threads where guys could not find the small 7 spline 3/8. Dealers were telling them it was not available which is complete horses dung. In more than one case I just mailed them rims for free. I am not going to get in an argument about which runs better. I use 3/8 as I want all things the same.

Bill

No problem glad i could help but word of advice i would run a 16 on that saw but i wouldn't go over 18''.
that seems to be something that's heavily debated too. In soft wood I'm sure you could pull a 20, but usually I've got it stuffed in alot of hard wooded trees. With the right grind and raker height I'm sure you'd be able to keep the rpm up decent enough without dogging on it, but I'm not looking to overload it constantly so it wouldn't make any sense to try and push it.No replacement for displacement, I'd rather take the walk of shame back to the truck and grab a different saw at that point haha

that seems to be something that's heavily debated too. In soft wood I'm sure you could pull a 20, but usually I've got it stuffed in alot of hard wooded trees. With the right grind and raker height I'm sure you'd be able to keep the rpm up decent enough without dogging on it, but I'm not looking to overload it constantly so it wouldn't make any sense to try and push it.No replacement for displacement, I'd rather take the walk of shame back to the truck and grab a different saw at that point haha
Better to tune it a little rich so to keep the heat down as well. a longer bar will only cause unnecessary strain specially if chain is not real sharp.

I ran a 16" 3/8" .050 Oregon 72LG chain on my last MS260. It's workable, but you can't get crazy on the rakers. This saw is a turd in stock form and only a bit better with a muffler mod, WT194 carb, base delete, timing advance and a trimmed choke butterfly. The only reason I ran 3/8" is because I was buying chain by the roll at the time and didn't want to have two different rolls on hand.
The rim sprocket IIRC is the same as a 361,440,460 etc.

I run a 16" bar with 3/8 pitch square ground on one of my 026's. Square ground makes a bit of a difference.

It does good but I mostly only limb with it because I keep the square grind away from all dirt if I can.

Click on the lower one, go to part #18 That is the picco 3/8 7 tooth rim 0000 642 1240 Same as for my ms251 which is the Stihl mini spline not the generic small spline.

So it looks like part #20 is the answer to post #1, either put in search or go to dealer.
200000 642 1231 - Stihl Rim Sprocket 3/8in 7t

No it is not. The 026 takes the small spline drive. The 361 might be the small also. The 4400/460 of course take the big 7 spline drive.
Your correct Bill , 440 & 460 have the larger or courser spline . Also Pioneerguy600 is correct in the " Mini description " for 260 / 261 rim spline . Don't remember on the older 026 series . I have converted all my 50 c.c. Class saws to 3/8 b&c roller tips . Cheaper than buying separate .325 loops for marginal increase in chain speed , for my 346 xp & 5105 which both have more than sufficient torque to pull 3/8 with 20 " bars . I remember my old ms360 having the standard 7 pin spline also . I square grind all my hardwood chains . Round file only softwood skip tooth set ups .

I run a 16" bar with 3/8 pitch square ground on one of my 026's. Square ground makes a bit of a difference.

It does good but I mostly only limb with it because I keep the square grind away from all dirt if I can.
I agree on the square, that's mainly my reason for switching. When grinding I can run all of my chains on the 451 instead of having to segregate them and hand file different chains. Of course the top handles all get a round filing. But for alot of ground saws that are getting worked day in and day out, including myself, I'd rather keep everything as simple as possible and have it all 3/8 where I can to save time and my hands too! Haha

Latest posts

Back