Stihl 026 conversion to 3/8 standard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the thread has went all over but the man/woman asked about running 3/8 standard on a 026. No matter what some believe the 026 will run it with a standard small spline rim and not some freaking arse Stihl mini thing. I have a half dozen of them. I run run 20" 3/8 72DL on the 026 and so does my former father in law that fuels a OWB just like mine

I run 3/8 standard on all my 026 saws. If you look you will see threads where guys could not find the small 7 spline 3/8. Dealers were telling them it was not available which is complete horses dung. In more than one case I just mailed them rims for free. I am not going to get in an argument about which runs better. I use 3/8 as I want all things the same.

Bill
Yep , 3/8 across the board on all saws , ( no anti kickback pico ) from 50 to 90 cc class other than my 3 Pioneers !

.404 on a p20 :oops:
Yeah , I remember when I was sourcing a replacement Oregon. 16" B&C for it , the technician said wow I forgot they were factory. 404 option on that Model back in the 70's lol. It actually pulls a 18 " with authority , the reed valve 58 c.c. saws were even scarier in the 60's Series .

The 3/8 is the drive teeth, the 3/8LP is about the cut teeth size and width.
So if you have a 3/8 sprocket it does not matter if you use a standard 3/8 or a 3/8LP chain, both will fit your sprocket.
Nope.

This has been beaten to death on the milling forum, was a lengthy tread about using 3/8 lo pro for milling started by @mtngun.

Chassis is different on 3/8 picco/lo pro. You need a correct drive sprocket and correct sprocket on the bar tip.

Picture of Stihl 3/8 rim and a 3/8 picco/lo pro rim. Note diameters are different due to chassis of the chain, but pitches are the same. The picco/lo pro sprocket is from Danzco.

medium spline 3:8 picco 2.jpg

I just did a double check and you are right and I am wrong, they are different. The 3/8 chain I use on my 70+cc saws does not fit perfectly on my 42cc MS241cm that have a 3/8LP sprocket.
So by that we can with confidence say that using a 3/8 standard chain on a 026 is not only "not beneficial" - it is also unobtainable.

See # 18 , 026 IPL It is hard to find 3003 mount 3/8 picco bars.

1 026 clutch.png

I just did a double check and you are right and I am wrong, they are different. The 3/8 chain I use on my 70+cc saws does not fit perfectly on my 42cc MS241cm that have a 3/8LP sprocket.
So by that we can with confidence say that using a 3/8 standard chain on a 026 is not only "not beneficial" - it is also unobtainable.
Not butting in nor being argumentative but I have been running 3/8 chain and 20 inch hbars on a 261 for years.

................So by that we can with confidence say that using a 3/8 standard chain on a 026 is not only "not beneficial" - it is also unobtainable.
You are 100% wrong and should not provide information you have no knowledge of, You have zero clue what you are talking about,. I run 3/8 on 026 saws and it is very OBTAINABLE

You are 100% wrong and should not provide information you have no knowledge of, You have zero clue what you are talking about,. I run 3/8 on 026 saws and it is very OBTAINABLE
Thank you sir, you are the first one in this thread that actually reacts hostile to my post, congrats.

Thank you sir, you are the first one in this thread that actually reacts hostile to my post, congrats.
Calling out 100% incorrect information is not hostile it is helpful. There are folks here that are truly looking to find answers and when you post something that is 100% wrong that not helping it is hurting. This is not a political thread it is an informational one posted by someone trying to get correct information.

I don’t think he was hostile. You are wrong, period. I have, as I type this, 3/8 .050 chain on a 16” bar on a ported 026. Everything is easily sourced.
B732528D-F999-4748-80A6-B08C5D3D2C98.jpeg
The 3/8 picco or low pro chain is easily sourced also, but hard to find 3/8 picco/low pro 3003/D025 mount bars for a 026. I looked for over a year and eventually gave up. They seem to be popular in the UK.

@Kriminal if you still need a 3/8 7T small spline rim, shoot me a PM.

I see the thread has went all over but the man/woman asked about running 3/8 standard on a 026. No matter what some believe the 026 will run it with a standard small spline rim and not some freaking arse Stihl mini thing. I have a half dozen of them. I run run 20" 3/8 72DL on the 026 and so does my former father in law that fuels a OWB just like mine
If it has an Oregon drum, then yes it runs the small spline. If it has a Stihl drum, it runs the mini spline. Same mini spline that runs on an 036/361

100 yesrs ago when I got my 026 it had 325 I switched it to 3/8 never feel like it has to much chain. Currently has a 18" on it. Saws isnt stock though
"dat dare wood be old saw at 100 years of age" All joking aside you run what chain meets your needs. I run 3/8 on everything I can but I also tend to have saws that are well sized for the application. I run a 20" with 3/8 on the 026 saws but I also do not cut big wood with it. I have a plethora of big saws to use on wood over 12". The 026 is just for brush.

I even run 3/8 on a Homelite 3100G......yep it works and cuts good

Hey guys, I've got an 026 that currently has a .325 sprocket on it and I'm looking to convert the saw to 3/8 standard. I found a previous thread on here where guys discussed it, but the conversation seemed to tilt towards using 3/8 lp. I've got an abundance of 3/8 standard chains and new bars that aren't being used and am looking to convert just to standardize all my saws to 3/8. Does anybody know where I can find the right sprocket? Thanks!
try www.ebay.com

Back