Stihl 028 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is 51.4cc and 3.4hp, if memory serves, and probably at its best with that 16" bar - but in a pinch you could certainly put an 18 or 20" on it - just don't leave it on there as standard equipment, at least not if you are cutting hardwood....

Niko... you will put a 16" bar on dang near every saw.:D :laugh: :laugh:

We run 028's out here with 20"ers on 'em no problem. It's what mine has on it. Been that way since it was bought brand new in 1984.

Gary

I know the 028 has a 44mm bore and the super a 46mm bore.
the early 028WBs has a 42mm bore. upped to 44mm later. super at 46mm

+1 - almost never see an 026 or 028 without a 20!

mines 42mm and pulls a 18" .325 fine in hard and softwood. not the fastest in hardwoods though. and it's not broke in either.
-Ralph

I just down sized my 028AV Super from 24" to 16" bar. Running a small bar made all the difference. Less weight, less drag on the motor trying pull a longer chain. Another words, the saw woke up with 16". I don't think this high RPM saw likes long bars and chains. Also realize that your saw is approx.25 years old so it's not a "Spring Chicken" 3.4 hp anymore. I don't know what kind of tree you are dealing with but a 16" 028AV Super seems ideal for me. I'm pretty sure I can out cut with 16" VS 24". If you are bogging some big stuff, you'll need a bigger saw. Let me know if you are in a market for 24" Stihl Rollermatic ES bar (good shape) with NIB Oregon 72LP (Full Comp) chisel chain, one used 4 hrs, and couple of full skips (used). You'll need 3/8"+7 tooth sprocket for it.

Niko... you will put a 16" bar on dang near every saw.:D :laugh: :laugh:

We run 028's out here with 20"ers on 'em no problem. It's what mine has on it. Been that way since it was bought brand new in 1984.

Gary

I have one for my 372 (plus 20 and 24" ones) - surely will try it, with an 8-pin........:yoyo: :yoyo:

+1 - almost never see an 026 or 028 without a 20!

The guys at my shop say the same thing. Even on a new saw sale the first question is "Will it take a 20 inch bar?" Is there an unwritten law somewhere that a saw must have a 20" blade?

;)

I know it's a bar dammit.

And welcome I fell, congrats on the purchase!

I think most people want 20"+ bar without knowing too much about saws. My 028AV Super w/24" bar was used by a pro logger as limbing saw. Light weight, high rpm, and reach of 24" which was perfect for large pacific northwest Doug Firs. But for your average homeowner that cuts firewood and cleaning up down trees from the winter, the long bar will handicap the saw. Yea, I like the look of 24" bar on my saw and strokes my ego too (I like the look of it and proud showing it off!). But let me tell you, 16" is a joy to use. It's agile, can use it for longer periods, drop starting is lot safer, saw seats on powerhead, and better balance, thus more control. Oh by the way, you can down some big ones if you know how to plunge cut. I guess bottom line is, it's your saw so you can put whatever lenght you want... I was looking at it from practical point of the user and what's best for the saw base on maintaining my 2.5 acres for the past 4 years. Just remember, chainsaw is not a pruning shears, nor headge trimmer.

Thanks for answering my question, you guys seem to know quite a bit about saws.:biggrinbounce2:. I think im going to stick with the 16" bar. Another quick question being that it is an old saw and has been only used for only a few hours but under harsh treatment and has been sitting for a while, that I should go for a full inspection and tune-up when I get my carb rebuilt. Also what is realy done to a saw when it is tuned up other than checking plugs and adjusting the carb.

Another quick question being that it is an old saw and has been only used for only a few hours but under harsh treatment and has been sitting for a while, that I should go for a full inspection and tune-up when I get my carb rebuilt. Also what is realy done to a saw when it is tuned up other than checking plugs and adjusting the carb.

Might want to check all the fuel lines for cracks.. New fuel filter and by all means a new air filter.Honestly I would do a vacum and pressure test on the crankcase to check the seals.. Hate to burn it down after just reviving it from the dead.
Oh better change the oil in to. LOL. JK

Thanks for answering my question, you guys seem to know quite a bit about saws.:biggrinbounce2:. I think im going to stick with the 16" bar. Another quick question being that it is an old saw and has been only used for only a few hours but under harsh treatment and has been sitting for a while, that I should go for a full inspection and tune-up when I get my carb rebuilt. Also what is realy done to a saw when it is tuned up other than checking plugs and adjusting the carb.

Hey Justin,
If your 028 Super has been sitting for all these years, I recommend you change all the rubber hoses, filter, and do a carb kit at minium. While you have the muffler off, inspect piston for scoring as well as the intake side when you change the intake hose. You only need common hand tools. Even the piston change is a snap. I think it'll be a good time to learn your saw. You can do a serch on this fourm and pretty much do everything. The chainsaw check up at the Stihl is about $56.00 and only covers minor lube, simple carb adjustment, and other minor stuff. For that much, you can get all the replacement rubber hose, filters, carb kit, a new chain, and some stihl 6 pack of 2 stroke oil. I just went through my 028 Super and did all the above items. It's running like a champ and last another 25 years... Good Luck.

It's not Gary and Andy.. it's the entire

PNW vs SAWTROLL.

Norway: the land of men with short bars

now thats funny!

:sword: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

..at least I don't like the 13" ones, that is standard on the 3 cube saws here........

Last edited:
Norway: the land of men with short bars

I guess it's the same as with shortness in other lines of business. It's a bit harder work, and you'll have to apply more skill and a bit of creativeness, but the customer might be more pleased with that anyway...:taped:

Is this where I am about to start regretting I voted for a time limit on editing..?

Back